Rhododendrons

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffo

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I was once told that Rhododendrons were not a nectar source, presumably because they were toxic in some way. My bees however have failed to get the message and are collecting nectar and pollen enthusiastically this morning.

Mine always do too and I am still alive and so are my bees!!!

There have been a few historical recorded cases of people getting ill after consuming Rhododendron honey (Xenephon 401 BC) but I suspect you would have to be surrounded by the stuff for it to be a problem. I have seen my bees on the bush in my garden before as well and I suspect that most colonies in the UK will be within flying range of some.

I've seen plenty of bumblebees on them but never any honey bees personally.

You'd have to eat and awful lot of it to make you ill.

Deli Bal is Turkish for 'mad honey', this is narcotic and the nectar for this is from Rhododendron Ponticum ,which grows in abundance around the Black Sea . It's sold very much 'under the counter ;)
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deli Bal is Turkish for 'mad honey', this is narcotic and the nectar for this is from Rhododendron Ponticum

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmm - must be a few on here with that stuff growing within foraging range of their bees!

I'll be looking forward to some of that deli bal then, as we're surrounded by Ponticums here.

Latest posts

Back