Victims of yesterdays storm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete D

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
50+. Double Std National & 14x12
Had a phone call this morning about some bees that have lived in an apple tree for a few years. The tree was old and had a hole in it where the lady said bees had been coming and going for a few years. Anyway said tree had suffered severe damage in the storm yesterday and she could see bees and wax comb.
I went and had a look, gave my brother a call (Jed D) and we got them out and into a nuc box.
Ist picture shows the tree damage and the exposed combs and bees.
2nd picture shows more of the combs exposed, about 5ft long in total and a bit of older comb in the higher broken bit.
3rd picture shows the man nest cavity, walls no thicker than the average wooden hive in places.
4th picture shows them having a warm, they were a bit cold and docile and we ended up just shaking them into the box bit by bit and they formed 4 small clusters, 1 in each corner, I put food frames and a pollen 1 in with plenty of space to lay. I figure the box will warm up, the 4 clusters will become 1 and maybe, just maybe they might make it. Tomorrow I will put them outside and open them up, they have 2 chances now instead of just the one.
Just for the record they had a couple of hand sized patches of brood, (chilled), no queen seen, quite a bit of stores and my brother saw a varroa mite on one of them. I have put them straight on to 14x12 and all the wild comb will be melted down slowly and I may get a few pound of cooking honey.
Thanks brother Jed.

Oh, pictures wont upload, something about a security setting...........any help or ideas so I can get them on please. Just normal JPEG's, uploaded several times before.
Thanks

Last edited:
I think the forum software has a few glitches as I had a similar problem the other week. Perhaps best to pm mark.

What brother Pete didn't say is,,, they're in his conservatory next to the radiator....:ohthedrama:

What brother Pete didn't say is,,, they're in his conservatory next to the radiator....:ohthedrama:

I didnt say that as the photo shows them next to the radiator in the hall.
Will try and get pictures up. (with help:spy:)

Shhh Pete - you don't want to be going and upsetting Derek now!

Well if the pictures ever get up you will see, nothing left of the hollowed out bit except dead bark.
The bees choose it and now they are in a poly nuc next to a rad.......different world.

This is hard work typing on the phone....
I need fingers the size of a bees foot...

Well, done Pete D and Jed D. Hope they make it. Look forward to seeing the pics in due course.

Well done on rescuing this colony ... see the photos now, thanks Craig ... it's nothing short of a miracle that apple tree was still living !! Talk about tree cavity ... I could almost live in that !!

Umm , Africa Log Hive.... in Norfolk.... Touch chilly...
Fingers crossed Queeenie went in the box...
P.S. At the computer now....

Last edited:
use photobucket to host the pics and then link direct to the pictures

Well done, good pics too. Interesting to see the size of the cavity and how thin the tree trunk was, and to know they had survived for a number of years in there.

Trunk wasnt that thin!

Latest posts

Back