Sheriff or BB

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenkinsbrynmair

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
Christmas is coming and a new suit beckons I've narrowed it down to two - either a BB wear or Sheriff but, decisions decisions which one of the two would all you out there go for (ignore the price difference) which ones will take the most abuse and what about spares - veils and the like.
Your opinions would be welcome - or even another make of suit if anyone thinks they're better

BB wear.

It's what the Bee Inspectors use.
Good roomy suits and waterproofed knee pads...brilliant idea.

I've had two suits of Bbasic and the hood on both has come completely mis-functioned. There is a plastic bone in there or something and it's become all misshapen so as I cannot wear it. I sent it back the first time and they replaced it, but it's happened again. Not impressed. It is not fit to wear safely.

Never buy the cheap ones from ebay...you may as well give your money away.
Absolute waste of time.

Having PPE you can trust is the very first essential to every beekeeper.
It can mean life or death in the extreme. Well worth paying the money for.

Very happy with my BBWear, but I'm sure that Sheriff owners will feel the same. From previous threads both companies provide excellent service.

I've had two suits of Bbasic and the hood on both has come completely mis-functioned.

I have to agree,I have purchased two suits from them as well.

The first one snapped around the neck on the plastic ring,the second one the veil ripped accross the front.

I still weir them both after doing a repair but would buy from BBwear or Sheriff next time.

I owned Sherrif suits for years, and still have one for the wife.

However I bought this year from Lyson and at less than half the price of the comparables it was a very good product for the money.

The acid test is always would you buy it again and I certainly would. Ex UK at £45

PH

Both bb wear and sheriff are excellent suits.
Sheriff are a closer fit and have a sleeker profile so would be my choice for evening wear, dancing ect.
BB wear suits have a longer zip on the bottom of the leg making them easier to put on and take off while wearing large boots, so they would be my choice for more industrial/agricultural applications

I have a BB Wear and a cheepo suit from ebay costing £35. I like my BB Wear suit, but i prefer the cheepo suit for every day use. The BB Wear suit is kept as my sunday best suit for when visitors come around or i have to go out to a BKA apiary meeting

I have a BB Wear and a cheepo suit from ebay costing £35. I like my BB Wear suit, but i prefer the cheepo suit for every day use. The BB Wear suit is kept as my sunday best suit for when visitors come around or i have to go out to a BKA apiary meeting

T'other way round! Sherriff suit which I rate very highly for everyday use with my own bees, my old cobbled-together suit is good enough for assoc meetings. And i have a couple of cheapo veiled tops for visitors if they want to have a peep, or for instant use if I just need to go near the hives (but not open them) for any reason. Not that the bees take any notice of me whatever I wear.

I have only ever had two suits - a cheapish one from Frag Planet (zip broke within 2 weeks) and a Sherrif - still going strong after 5 years, have not had a single problem with it.

Some seasons ago we changed over to BB Wear (from the other familially linked brand). Very happy with them and would not change back. We buy about 10 suits a year for various staff members, and we find them to be harder wearing than the competing brands, and the area around the knees is crucial in a commercial setting. Just a bit more 'suited' to our needs.

Best bee suit I EVER had though is no longer made...the 'Mountain' bee suit from South Africa........just superb. Took care of my one real remaining gripe about the BB/Sherriff type suits, the hoods..........need to wear a wide brimmed or peaked hat underneath as windy conditions push the veil against the face area.......and in such conditions the bees are of pretty unfriendly intent, esp the A.m.m. colonies.

Now a BB wear suit with a 'Mountain' hat..................would re-equip the whole team immediately with those.

The OP said to ignore price............but in our case it has to be a factor, as the difference does run to hundreds of pounds.

ITLD - do you get the concertina

BB1-2.jpg

or round and wide
RR1-W.jpg

(in BBspeak normal v retro)

Not had any problems myself with the latter, seems to keep the veil off the face quite well, but it may not be so windy down our way.

ITLD - do you get the concertina

or round and wide
(in BBspeak normal v retro)

Not had any problems myself with the latter, seems to keep the veil off the face quite well, but it may not be so windy down our way.

The one you call concertina. The other does get caught up very readily by the wind. the Mountain suit had a tight fitting hat (you had to give your hat size) and all round vision, and did not flip up even in a gale.

I have both and tend to wear the bb suit most.

I have used BB wear for many years, and find them to be excellent.

Latest posts

Back