BBKA Training DVDs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Bee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Looks like a good quality set of DVD's maybe?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3-5a2NSPAo[/ame]

Yes, but we need them 'yesterday'... why so long...
Anyone here do similar -quicker.There is a demand..
It looked like Roger Patterson on the video- will ask him ..

Think I recognise the shirts... and the smoker between the knees- it is COMPULSORY at his Assoc. Conform or go...

Do I want a smoked gusset :ack2:- dont answer that!!! Ok for you tall people but.....

:iagree: with Heather about the smoking bit.

Not too keen on the bare hands all the time either, or the lack of cleaning bucket or milk crate hive stands - ah well. It is what the end result is that counts, so I guess we will have to wait and see.

Meg

Yep, but never seen him move so fast, bless him. And never could name a man just by his pants! Hmmm Brad Pitt... give it a go

But it is educational and that is what matters. Just so long to release.

Come on- back to the video - why cannot some enterprising group on this forum produce this sort of thing- and sell them.
I can do a smoke free demo....;)

Think I recognise the shirts... and the smoker between the knees- it is COMPULSORY at his Assoc. Conform or go...

Do I want a smoked gusset :ack2:- dont answer that!!! Ok for you tall people but.....

Maybe Roger had a nasty experience once upon a time...I'll ask next time I see him. No, on second thoughts perhaps not.

Here's the list from BBKA - £3.50 to hire

A HIVE OF INDUSTRY An Abbott production. Taylor' s factory in the 50's

FROM BUTTERFLIES WITH LOVE (Insects as chemists). An interesting insight into pheromones. Includes some excellent
close-up views of queen mating in flight using a rotating frame, with cine-camera
and Queen attached. Also shows other insects and explains pheromones and other
chemicals used by many insects.
RAFTER BEEKEEPING IN VIETNAM With English Commentary. Gold medal award at XXIV Apimondia Congress, Switzerland
Beekeeping among the trees. Apis Dorsata in flooded forest beekeeping.
MODERN BEE BREEDING An Abbott Production. Filmed at Rothamsted and includes a good demonstration of early
Artificial Insemination, 1952.
BBKA SPRING CONVENTION Lots of familiar, though younger, bee-faces. Among the crowds one sees Mike Badger, John
1989 . Atkinson, Cecil Tonsley, Bill Dartnall, Adrian & Claire Waring, a beardless BBKA President
Karl Showler, and many, many more.
THE WEEKEND BEEKEEPER Prog. 3 The Beekeeping Education Service, Cheshire Connecticut with Larry Conner PH.D
1985 . Making up 'increase colonies' during the spring inspection.
FIELDS OF GOLD Produced by Hoechst UK Ltd as a guide to farmers and beekeepers with regard to
1984 . oil seed rape crop. Narrated by Helen McDermott. Script by Dr. Harry Riches (BBKA) & Dr
Reg Hewson (Hoechst). Filmed in Norfolk. An insight into the processes and production
of the plant and end products. Worth considering for a winter viewing.
PAGES FROM MY SCRAPBOOK An Abbott Production. A few odd shots among the bees of the 50's.
Silent, but 'speaks for itself'. A space-filler to make up a showing.
WHEN BEE MEETS BEE Communication within the hive. Well photographed close-ups and educated commentary.
Not to be overlooked. When making up a showing. leave 20mins for this one.
PREPARING HEATHER HONEY Pershore College of Agriculture Production. Pressing Heather Honey (10mins).
& PACKING CUT COMB Packing Cut Comb (10mins).
BIG BUSINESS IN BEES BBC 'World About Us' series. The Alkaline Bee, the Leafcutter Bee, the European Bee,
BBC Enterprises the African Bee. A very interesting production showing Lucerne crop pollination using
different types of bees, bee breeding and pests, etc. Usual BBC quality film.
STARTING WITH BEES An Abbott Production. Demonstrating equipment. (Spot the deliberate mistakes)

A YEAR IN THE APIARY Barnet Beekeepers Assns. famous film of 'modern' techniques in beekeeping, 1935/6
Silent with subtitles. Beekeeper in suit and bowler hat. Good beekeeping.
IRISH BEES AND BEE SKEPS A grand old film showing a few wise old Irish beekeepers going about their beekeeping.
Might need an Irish person in your audience to help interpret the Irish Brogue?
FOUL BROOD (Foul brood recognition and control). The Bee Disease Control Order 1982
by MAFF/ADAS A must for a winter meeting
THE WEEKEND BEEKEEPER Prog. 7 Honey Management. "The shook-swarm method" to procure cut comb honey.
(Prog. 7 also on Video.20) Larry Conner Ph.D & Dr Richard Taylor. A must for a winter meeting
WITH MANLEY TO THE HEATHER An Abbott Production. Taking 76 colonies to the New Forest.

LIVING WITH VARROA B.F.A. Lecture at National Honey Show 01.10.89
1989 . by Pieter C Muntjewerf (Holland)
BEE BREEDING ???? Video Missing ???? (Does anyone know its whereabouts?)

THE WEEKEND BEEKEEPER Prog. 7 Honey Management. "The shook swarm method" to procure cut comb honey.
Progs. 7 & 8 1985 . Prog. 8: The Honey House for "Honey extraction" with Jerry Healey
(Prog. 7 also on Video.16) with Larry Conner Ph.D. and Dr Richard Taylor.
TO BEE OR NOT TO BEE Susan Brooks, TV interviewer and John Holme, beekeeper looking at bees in
Warwickshire. Claire Waring making Honey Marmalade. Adrian Waring at Stoneleigh.
A Richard & Judie C4 production.
QUEEN SUBSTANCE An Abbott Production. Filmed at Rothamsted. 'Q.S. - It's discovery and measurement'..
Excellent filming. Well worth a viewing
QUEEN BEE RAISING Presented by EH Thorne. First film, with Australian commentary shows the production
+ KNOW YOUR AFB of large numbers of queens for export . No.2 is English by John Atkinson on AFB
+ PROPIONIC ANHYDRIDE and No.3, by J Walker NDB covers clearing of bees from honey supers
ROYAL SHOW 1965 The opening of the New Beekeeping Centre at Stoneleigh Park by The Duchess of
Gloucester. An interesting look at the past.
OPERATION ANTI-VARROA A French video about APISTAN with English translation 1995. Insight into European
beekeeping
NEPAL - IT'S BEES & BEEKEEPERS Written & produced by Claire Waring. Gold medal winner at Apimondia 1997

DANCING FOR THEIR SUPPER By Dr Roger Morse. Foraging ecology and the dance language of the honeybee.
(On temporary loan from Brian Milward) "An excellent video which clearly and accurately portrays the dance language"
There is an added 13mins at the end of this film showing bees performing the waggle
dance, which can be used to practice decoding the dance language.
HONEY: NATURES LIQUID GOLD An Australian film about their honey production with some scenes showing the vast volume
being blended for commercial use, etc.
VARROA A serious pest of the honeybee and a major problem for beekeeping'. Prepared and issued
By CONBA
AN INTRODUCTION TO BEEKEEPING Step-by-step guide with Ed Weiss, Beekeeper-Author-Lecturer. Incl: Benefits of beekeeping,
Equipment, Apiary location, Hiving your bees, Entering a hive, Harvesting, Wintering, etc.
BEEKEEPING John Furzey has been a commercial beekeeper for over 45 years in the south of
1981 & 1989 with John Furzey England. In this video John concentrates on the management & handling of bees.
BAYVAROL STRIPS A Bayer video. Showing the proper use of Varroa Strips for the diagnosis and control of varroa

SAFETY SIDE UP Crop Protection Chemicals. Filmed and Produced by David Bellamy company
for ICI Agrochemicals. First shown at 1990 Spring Convention. Donated by ICI
MAKING CANDLES Commentary by Lesley Judd. A practical demonstration in all aspects of
candle making. Paraffin Wax….not Beeswax
COLLECTING THE HONEY CROP "A Finnish professional shows us his honey extracting and processing equipment and tells
1986 - Kari Keivulehto us about it in in fractured/understandable English. Not of great interest 'guide' to the
amateur beekeeper except as a 'filler' on a video evening" -- viewer, Bernhard Schumann.
THE LIFE OF THE HONEYBEE Enc. Britannica film. Life history of the honeybee colony. A must for a winter showing.
1980 - John Carey
BAR-BEE-QUE "Despite the jokey title this British film about dealing with AFB, includes destroying a colony.
1994 - Len Dixon For anyone who has not seen this distressing procedure it is an excellent and meticulous
presentation of the disease and its treatment. Strongly recommended as a follow-up to a
lecture on bee diseases" -- viewer, Bernhard Schumann.
EARLY SPRING MANAGEMENT By Larry Conner. Ph.D. Prog. 1 "A look at overwintered colonies".
(Beekeeping Education Service) Prog. 2 "Colonies with problems". Carries out Antibiotic preventative disease treatment.
A practice that would be frowned upon in this country. A spot the bad practices film!
VARROA (Ciba Geigy) A German video but with English commentary. Excellent filming of the mite in action. Should
The mysterious bee mite be included for any discussion meeting on varroa. The mite is unmasked.
An Historic event in Beekeeping Silent. The first filming of bees by the BBC.
A Beekeepers notebook. Silent. Removing a swarm from a tree, testing for acarine, and bad examples of Beekeeping.

Niagra frontier Silent. Life at the hive entrance.
Has "interference" at the start.
Eddy Woods Recording Based on the mag tape from the BBC.
1950s
Bee Tree Silent. Filming bees at the entrance in a tree, and opening a "door" to see the comb.

Varroa jacobensi Pollination and the life of the bee and varroa. Flickers at start.

Dissection for Acarine HA Dade/CP Abbott. How to diagnose acarine in its early stages.

Pests or plenty Looking at pests in the provision of food, and the control of them

Bees for hire. Planned pollination of crops - america. 1950s?

Last edited:
They're charging £3.50 for a DVD rental - seems a lot to me - what do others think?

It would be nice if we could preview the DVDs (or even watch the whole thing) on the website but I guess that's about as likely to happen as the BBKA website to work 100% on launch!

R2

£3.50 does seem expensive for DVD hire these days, but I don't think they have much choice:

- Can't just stick them all on the internet, because they don't own the copyright.

- Can't get the prices down lower by running a super-efficient operation, because the volume of rentals is probably tiny.

I'm really grateful to those of you who take the time and trouble to record new material and post it where everyone can watch it.

So anybody know when these DVDs are coming out in 2012?

If they are not finishing filming until 2012 then this will take them well into summer at the earliest - and then there is the editing. So my guess would be late 2012, possibly very late.

The presence of RP worries me but providing it takes into account the beekeeping methods of several different beekeepers then it could be a useful series of videos. I just hope it isn't the gospel according to RP - who as already mentioned has very fixed views on how beekeeping should be done and of course, if this is the case, I look forward to the video on the use of ley lines for swarm control.

He is coming to our Assoc talking about ley lines this Wednesday. Something I have never considered... I will keep an open mind. He has very fixed views - but still knows more than me so I will respect that-

I just get cross when he rubbishes our Tuition days because we have only kept bees 6 years. Says we are beginners just reading a book.
Well, we seem to have v good feedback- and don't send anyone away telling them they are too old!

Latest posts

Back