what would you have done?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roo

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello there,
I gave a five frame nuc to a couple starting beekeeping this august. They transferred to a national hive and filled remaining space with frames of foundation.
I advised to feed and help draw out some more frames before end of season, giving instructions to place feeder on to crown board.
I spoke to them yesturday and it seems they have a problem in that they left a bucket feeder directly on top of the brood frames with empty super then topped with crown board and roof. As you can imagine, the bees had made lots of wild comb above brood nest and around bucket feeder , all their lovely winter stores. What is the best plan of action for them now?
Many thanks.

Know of any drawn brood combs? If you have some spare they could replace the foundation frames; cut out all wild comb and place on top of a crown board (with hole), empty super, crownboard, roof and let them take their stores down into the BB.

:iagree:

Look at the German Skep beekeeping vids for some ideas !

Beekeeping ( as we are finding out) is not set in stone!!!

Or Wood, or Poly. Different things to different guys.

How they got into this mess beggars belief and they need to do some reading. Either and or here and books.

What would I do?

Leave it alone now until spring.

PH

leave until spring and lend them a book!!

Yep. I'm rapidly converting to the "if in doubt leave them alone" school of thought.

Thanks for your thoughts,
We decided to add some spare drawn frames and let them take it down from the wild comb on crown board. Heres hoping they get sorted fairly quickly.

Latest posts

Back