Thymol here, thymol there (and Apiguard)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strength_10

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello,
I'm trying to plan my autumn feeding and treatments (I'm a newbie so this is my first 'end of season' experience).

I've bought some Apiguard which I was planning on using before feeding. I had already bought that before I found this site. Since then I have read lots of posts on the use of Thymol (including Hivemaker's recipes).

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=49691&postcount=44
(Emulsified Thymol mix to add to autumn syrup)

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1840
(Thymol mix to apply to oasis within hive)

My question is should I use just the apiguard? Should I also use the Thymol mix on the oasis? (though I assume this is in fact a home made version of the apiguard so I should probably use up the apiguard first since I've already bought it).

Secondly, even if I use Apiguard, should I then feed thymolated syrup or is that overkill?

Does anyone use Apiguard and Thymolated syrup together in Autumn?

Many thanks in advance,
Cameron

AS you have bought the Apiguard I would use it as next year it may be out of date.

Well thymol in the mix as well is overkill but someone will be along shortly with another viewpoint.

AS you have bought the Apiguard I would use it as next year it may be out of date.

Well thymol in the mix as well is overkill but someone will be along shortly with another viewpoint.

Will apiguard prevent syrup from fermenting or help prevent/control nosema?

So Hivemaker, would you recommend Apiguard and Thymolated syrup or just one or the other. It doesn't matter which as I have the apiguard bought but also already have thymol crystals, isopropyl alcohol and lecithin granules sitting in the garage.

Hi,i use both,not apiguard though,but still a separate thymol varroa treatment,and thymol syrup feed.

There is a use by date on the packet. Try reading it and decide if you want to use it or keep it. I reckon that you are into overkill mood and a full Apiguard treatment (2 sachets) is enough at this time of year but ensure you use oxalic at Xmas too and feed the bees fondant as a sweetener then too. In fact I give evaporated oxalic twice usually.

Just to be clear, I would still use HM's recipe in the autumn feed to stop it fermenting but as you know this is a lighter dose than the "full" treatment.

I try and put as few chemicals as possible in into the hive.

Does anyone have a link where you can get the aforementioned green absorbent oasis' from?

Someone I know is a flower arranger at local church, and when I asked her if she had any old blocks they no longer wanted she delivered me a dustbin full, of which 80 % was perfectly usable. Ideal for a water source too, so bees do not drown

Could anybody supply the link or explain how to use the oasis please?

ZZ

As the syrup apparently both makes the bees take it down quicker, slows the fermentation and helps with nosema, I think I will be using it as well as my current apiguard cycle.

Hi,i use both,not apiguard though,but still a separate thymol varroa treatment,and thymol syrup feed.

Some explanation, elucidation and methodology of this revelation would be very welcome. :cool:

Which bit would you like to know about Steve.

The separate thymol varroa treatment, we know about the thymol syrup and didn't know there was more - cheers.

Thanks Pete, hadn't realised it was the oasis treatment - away for a couple of days.

BTW, while Ambrosia doesn't ferment or go mouldy would it be a good idea to use your thymol for syrup mix in the Ambrosia syrup as a part of the two-way attack.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back