Where do you sell your honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am finding this an interesting thread, as I am a new beekeeper and am shortly to (attempt) to extract honey for the first time. I only have a couple of hives at an out apiary, one of which has a capped super that I plan to extract soon (kitchen at home). Have been wondering what size jars to go for, especially since I won't have a lot of honey - was thinking 8oz but from reading here it seems 12oz is popular so might go with that. I only plan to sell directly, gifts to friends & family etc - I know there are regulations regarding labels etc but not sure if these same requirements apply to selling directly in small amounts or gifts, am thinking best to get proper labels done anyway just to make sure.

Gifts don't need anything, just remember, I keep 50lbs for myself each year and I keep a year extra just in case I get a really bad year....so you need 100 lbs for yourself and gifts before you even think of selling any. Well I do anyway but I can't drink coffe without honey, have it on my cereal, in loads of puddings and cakes, on toast etc etc. for my own use I stick it in one pound jars, to sell I use 12 oz jars because they look so much bigger than 8 oz jars so you can charge a premium. The cost comes with the jar, labelling and lids
E

Do you need public liability insurance to sell at a farmers market?

Hi Jeff,
I've just looked into this myself as I'm hoping to sell my honey at our local farmers market starting next month. The market manager wants to see my public liability insurance certificate with a minimum of 5M cover (BBKA membership covers this), plus I have to be registered with Environmental Health as a food producer.
I've just filled out the form and am waiting for a call from an EH officer to arrange a visit. Talking to the chap on the phone it sounds like just a very straightforward check over my production premises (ie, my kitchen!) and for me to explain my extraction and bottling procedures. He advised that I document my procedures to show as evidence that I am following best practice.

He wasn't worried about seeing my food and hygeine certificate as he said honey is a low risk food stuff but I shall have it with me just in case anyone asks!

The market stall is £20 for me. I shall be selling 1lb for £5 and 12oz for £4 but I shall also make up some fancy 'gift sets' to try and get sales rolling.

Hop that helps
JM

Here on the borders they are just glad if you turn up!!!!!
E

I was advised to get a level 2 hygiene certificate.

You can to the course on line, takes about 2 hours followed by a multiple choice exam, if you pass you are sent a certificate that you print off, costs about £20

I sell my honey at various local artisan and farmers markets,£4 for an 8oz jar of honey,£4 for a candle(rolled sheet of deep unwired foundation) and £4 for a tin of beeswax furniture polish,any 3 items £10 ! :cool:

I have insurance privately, but from what i'v heard it is included in membership of your local bka.

View attachment 10779

Last edited:
I sell my honey at various local artisan and farmers markets,£4 for an 8oz jar of honey,£4 for a candle(rolled sheet of deep unwired and £4 for beeswax furniture polish,any 3 items £10 ! :cool:

I have insurance privately, but from what i'v heard it is included in membership of your local bka.

View attachment 10779

Very nice display!

PLI insurance is a con..

For any accident the liablity comes down to the land owner...

Where do you Harvest process and sell your honey?
My bees are in the garden 2 hives one good colony and one dodgy one this year.
I process in my kitchen.
I sell by word of mouth and at the door by putting a board out, on the grass verge, that I designed and produced myself. My honey is in 12 0z 340gm hexagonals and I fill up to the neck.

See my atavar - that's inside my garden hedge. The sale box is on the grass verge.

Hi Jeff,
I've just looked into this myself as I'm hoping to sell my honey at our local farmers market starting next month. The market manager wants to see my public liability insurance certificate with a minimum of 5M cover (BBKA membership covers this), plus I have to be registered with Environmental Health as a food producer.
I've just filled out the form and am waiting for a call from an EH officer to arrange a visit. Talking to the chap on the phone it sounds like just a very straightforward check over my production premises (ie, my kitchen!) and for me to explain my extraction and bottling procedures. He advised that I document my procedures to show as evidence that I am following best practice.

He wasn't worried about seeing my food and hygeine certificate as he said honey is a low risk food stuff but I shall have it with me just in case anyone asks!

The market stall is £20 for me. I shall be selling 1lb for £5 and 12oz for £4 but I shall also make up some fancy 'gift sets' to try and get sales rolling.

Hop that helps
JM

Thanks for the info I already have my environmental health cert but good idea about joining BBKA for insurance shame it runs from Oct so not much of this year left so looking at joining local club.

Where do you Harvest process and sell your honey?
My bees are in the garden 2 hives one good colony and one dodgy one this year.
I process in my kitchen.
I sell by word of mouth and at the door by putting a board out, on the grass verge, that I designed and produced myself. My honey is in 12 0z 340gm hexagonals and I fill up to the neck.

Plans for dedicated honey room being formulated for next year but at the moment we extract and bottle in kitchen. We have had a council food inspection of premises and also have level 2 hygiene certificates.
Having tried many markets, we now sell our products at selected farmers markets and fairs but also have quite a few Deli's in 'larger' towns that take a case or two each month. A growing number of doorstep visitors take a few jars too which is nice for feedback
Insurance is a must and insisted on at the markets and as well as BBKA insurance we are members of the market traders association which includes cover.
We are registered with the tax man as a business which sometimes causes a look of concern when we provide or ask for a receipt for goods :rolleyes:
S

Extract in garage, bottle in kitchen. Sell at door and down local pub, £4.50 for a 12oz and £6 for cut comb. Only use 1lb jars for showing. Think 8oz jars a bit mean, but if you only have a few pounds to sell then might as well make the most of it.

We have only sold a few through friends of friends, but thinking of going to a farmers market. We normally charge £5 for 1lb jar, do you all charge more on a small local farmers market?

So far it was not easy selling, because we live in a rather remote location with hardly any traffic passing through, so a sign at the gate does not attract many people....

PLI insurance is a con..

For any accident the liablity comes down to the land owner...

You're wrong. It may come down to the occupier if he doesn't take reasonable steps to see that the premises are reasonably safe, but if the accident happens because of the negligence of an individual, it'll come down to that individual.

Latest posts

Back