Bats in daylight

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just seen a bat flying over my pond drinking water. Lasted about twenty minutes in full sunshine. First time for me! We have loads living in the roof of our house but never seen them in full daylight before!
E

The only time we've seen bats during the day was when they chose to roost in the profile of a tin roof and the sun probably made it too b hot to stay there.

We have loads of bats every night when we walk the dogs and get the dogfood last thing. We did an evening at Rosemoor Gardens re. bats and had a talk on bats then went out with bat detectors around the old house and stables.
There is a roost in some old stables and we stood outside as they were exiting and the detectors were going wild. A very enjoyable evening.

Tim

We have about 50 to 100 live in our roof, we hear them come back just before daybreak, they enter through a hole and then scrabble up the insulation. It takes about half an hour for them all to get up there. They haven't arrived yet as this is only a summer roost. We miss them coming home in the winter! In the evening they all leave one after the other! There is a noticeable drop in Mosquitos when they arrive. The only draw back is the droppings which run down the insulation and gather on the ground. Looks like we have loads of mice! Today though was amazing, it flew round our heads and then dived across the surface of the water just touching it for a drink. Never have a camera when you want one!
E

Used to, in old family home have in attic in my bedroom, odd time one would fly into my room through open attic door, guy from Bat Conservation council came out and netted some for identification purposes, were common Pipistrels

Used to love watching them leaving to hunt every evening, whilst still daylight,

Beautifull creatures !!!

We also have them in the roof. I counted 150 coming out once before I got fed up of craning my neck.
As we live opposite a mosquito ridden swamp, I am pleased to have them here.
Cazza

Just seen a bat flying over my pond drinking water. Lasted about twenty minutes in full sunshine. First time for me! We have loads living in the roof of our house but never seen them in full daylight before!
E

I have been hearing a lot of reports recently of bats flying during daylight hours. The cause is the warm weather we have been experiencing making them dehydrated. They get most of their water from the insects they eat, hence the very dry droppings they produce. You may also see bats flying in winter when they fail to gain enough weight in autumn and have to wake to feed. They are also seen sunning themselves on a winters day, same reason, hunger.
If you want to hear them there is a bargain at Argos at present and works well for the money http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1095973.htm
S

Latest posts

Back