Inspecting Frame Stand

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceph

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am trying to located or build a little stand that will allow me to inspect the hive and especially the brood chamnber (national) easier.

I want to be able to pop one brood frmae on the stand to give me more space and stop rolling the bees.

Also I could even place each frame on the stand to allow me to inspect from a fixed position rathre than holding and record photogrpahs.

I saw I metal frame as part an expensive extracting kit of some sort on Thornes but havnt found just the frame.

Any ideas were I can get one?

Thanks.

That company you mention sell a frame rest. It clips onto your BB and the first frame out rests on it. Others just rest the first frame out on the floor or whatever.

As for inspecting frames, most people are happy just using their hands.

Find a local blacksmith and use him?

I note you said that you want to photograph your frames as you inspect? Or that is how I read it.

Please be aware that working like that would not be beneficial to the colony. It's best to get through neatly, efficiently and in as short a time as possible with out being rough.

If I picked it up wrong then apologies in advance.

PH

Adapt one of those clothes airers that hang on a radiator..

If you build your hive stand the correct depth (width) you will be able to hang the first frame on this as the lugs will hang on the stand rails.

I am trying to located or build a little stand that will allow me to inspect the hive and especially the brood chamnber (national) easier.

I want to be able to pop one brood frmae on the stand to give me more space and stop rolling the bees.

Also I could even place each frame on the stand to allow me to inspect from a fixed position rathre than holding and record photogrpahs.

I saw I metal frame as part an expensive extracting kit of some sort on Th**nes but havnt found just the frame.

Any ideas were I can get one?

Thanks.

I built one myself, almost never use it but have it just incase, I will add a photo in a few days when I go to my apiary next.

I use a crisp packet box to put the frame in they are the perfect size and if the queen is on the frame she won't end up on the floor and stood on or lost. You could put it on a folding stand if you have problems bending

Thanks for the ideas, they are good. I think in the short term I will use the crisp box method whilst I get some 'basket hangers' for the side of my original stand and then I am going to make one of the long stands with folding legs and prob incorporate something like the extended rungs for each hive. Great stuff.

Latest posts

Back