I want a properly warm day!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremyfro

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Beehaus
Number of Hives
Possibly...5 and a bit...depends on the bees.
It sounds like I am the only person not yet able to go in the hives and do the Spring inspection!!! The weather is either sunny...but very cold...or cloudy and threatening rain....or actually raining.....or blowing a gale....when will we have a few settled days of warmer weather. My girls are braving the weather to go out and collect pollen. I bet a lot don't make it back to the hive.
So having to occupy myself putting frames together...yes...more frames...and painting the last supers. Reading lots about bees.

Not done mine yet, but I do have clear crownboards, to peek through!

weather is not much better here! I read on here of all these high temps, and wonder where people are in the UK!

So, glad I'm not the only one, snap!

and I'm not sure association members have yet either!

bloody cold up north!

Are you near Bridgend ? my parents tell me it#s cold there as well!!

The only inspections I have done this year have been from the outside of my hives. All are weathertight and when hefted, appear to have a fair weight of stores in them. When I have been able to visit them around mid-day over the past few weeks, foragers have been bringing in a goodly amount of pollen and I have been pleased to see orientation flights going on. In all honesty, it will be another few weeks before I will open any hives for a quick inspection.

I'm sure not many Welsh hives have been open yet. I didn't look into mine till third week of April last year.

got 5 hives, not inspected any yet, I reckon another month could pass before I need to worry

I am in supposedly sunny Kent, but despite some nice sunshine, the Northerly wind is keeping temperatures low and I have refrained from the temptation to do other than just remove mouse guards, lift the roof to add some fondant and hope all is ok. I have two hives with one busy with the girls collecting and foraging despite the cold, whilst the other is as quiet as the proverbial grave, though I know the colony has survived the winter, how successfully is the question I am waiting to have answered. I will continue to watch the thermometer, but not inclined to do a full inspection until we see a let up in the cutting wind. I am sure patience will be rewarded in the next week or so.

I'm sure not many Welsh hives have been open yet. I didn't look into mine till third week of April last year.

I checked a few of mine, but I have been very fortunate in that I have been able to grab the few spells of warm, still weather we have had - or that I, at least, have had! :sunning:

It sounds like I am the only person not yet able to go in the hives and do the Spring inspection!!! The weather is either sunny...but very cold...or cloudy and threatening rain....or actually raining.....or blowing a gale....when will we have a few settled days of warmer weather. My girls are braving the weather to go out and collect pollen. I bet a lot don't make it back to the hive.
So having to occupy myself putting frames together...yes...more frames...and painting the last supers. Reading lots about bees.

No rush. I haven't set foot in the apiary since September

I havent checked my hive either yet.weather wasn't great before i went and i'm not back in uk until 10 april.Itching to get another year under my belt as ive just bought more hives also.

Not been in mine - I check hive weights and see activity good enough for me in chilly March. What's the rush - when swarming fever hits or there is a huge flow on you will want a break from them!

I have looked inside mine, ie lifted the crownboard to see if alive still. I have also hefted and started feeding syrup to them ready to do splits in early may. But unlike the last couple of years I haven't actually done any inspections where the brood box has been split. I now trust myself to be able to read the hive much better now and so far I have been right and all 25 are alive and well, all bringing in pollen so must be brooding.

Some are larger than others but all are doing very well.

I cant see me doing a proper inspection until after easter but will have collected pollen from 6 for the pollen CSI over the easter weekend.

Phew...that's a relief then...all I seem to read about is people inspecting....having queen cells.....putting on supers...I keep thinking that I have slept through March and woken up mid April!
It is cold here today...biting winds with sunny spells.
I did have a peak through the clear cover board a couple of weeks ago when the day was a better one but otherwise hefting and watching the entrances.
All my hives are very active...bringing in loads of pollen every time the sun comes out.
I oiled my varroa trays and put those in yesterday....to see what drop there may be. So will take a look tomorrow. I have added fondant when necessary.
I expect I will know when to go through the hives when there is a large swarm hanging on the fence....ha ha ha
Glad to hear I am not alone in my vigil......
I know what is going to happen though....the weather will be wonderful and then the mare....which is carrying a foal ...will decide to give birth...and the bees will have to wait their turn...hey ho..

Not opened any of mine yet either, was half tempted this afternoon when the sun came out, but the wind is still very cold so I resisted.

Contented myself with weeding the garden, weeds grow regardless of temperature!

I have perspex crownboards so I've had a peek, but haven't opened up yet. It's much too cold and today the winds are up to gale force, although a few bees are sneaking out and back in carrying pollen.

I have looked under a couple of dozen crownboards last Sunday. That is all though.

I never open before mid April.

(I thought beekeeping taught patience? Obviously not)

(I thought beekeeping taught patience? Obviously not)

VultureCartoon-new.jpg

only "inspection" I did was after kids toppled my hives. luckily it was in one of the warmer sunny weekends at the beginning of the month. Not really went in as my girls were obviously fuming... otherwise it has been too cold to do anything. I am fine with that. there will be more than enough "fun" to be had in swarming season...

Down here in the Tropical South West, I have resisted any inspections, just given some 'iffy' honey back to them as a feed. 'Iffy' looks to be 'Privet', has a taint as my QA manager decided. Don't argue with your betters over taste!!

Given that I don't eat honey it's the best policy.

Latest posts

Back