Can anyone ID this flower for me ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKF Admin

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Found loads of these wild flowers in a meadow I have a couple of hives in.
Anyone any idea what they are ?

:iagree; .. but I spell it Comfrey! We have a blue one in our garden.

I bet you say Barth and not Bath as well !!! :seeya:

Think you are right about the spelling though ... oddly enough, I picked a huge bag of its leaves at the allotment tonight and they are going into my fertiliser tank in the morning ... best tomato plant food there is ! Does niff a bit though....

Yup, that is definitely comfrey. I decided to have a go at making some feed for my plants from it. Next door neighbours weren't too happy about it. Ended up getting a warning letter through the post fromthe local Environmental health dept.

Yup, that is definitely comfrey. I decided to have a go at making some feed for my plants from it. Next door neighbours weren't too happy about it. Ended up getting a warning letter through the post fromthe local Environmental health dept.

Why would you get a warning about it? I've not looked at the process.

It stinks!!!!
Good stuff though :)
Husband used it in our sun room on the Hoya and Night Blooming Cereus.....only the once though :nono:

Why would you get a warning about it? I've not looked at the process.

Bag of Comfrey leaves, bunch of washed seaweed, some hen droppings, few stinging nettles if you have some. Large plastic container full of water and a tight fitting lid with a small hole in it. Suspend the solids in a net bag in the water and leave for a week or two ... avoid lifting the lid as it does STINK ... Most of the solids will eventually dissolve and what is left stays in the net bag. You end up with a deepish brown liquid - I have a tap on the bottom of my 'fertiliser' barrel so I can drain off a litre or two and then I dilute it until it's the colour of weak tea. After a while (and once you've removed the solids) it stops smelling.

Just incredible for any plants, shrubs or vegetables... Must be stuffed full of trace elements and phosphates I reckon. Never buy Growmore or Tomorite any more.

Latest posts

Back