Flow Hive - more info

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will they have to pay tax on that?

Yes, Tax will be due, as pledges are considered as Income, as in sales for the business. The pledges will also be inclusive of VAT.

(on Profit!), unless they have clever accounting! But if they make zero profit, zero Tax! - but then what would be the driver, unless they want to change Beekeeping forever!

So be subject to VAT @ 10%. because they are providing goods. So 10% will need to be paid to Aussie Excise.

Often overlooked, when raising money through crowd funding!

Last edited:
... I think some people are just grabbing at straws to try and make it look bad

I agree - what most people are forgetting is that this has been developed in a HOT country where bees can forage most of the year. Aussi beekeepers produce a lot more honey per year than most UK beeks because they have such a long season, which probably accounts for why the Flow Hive honey combs need cleaning a couple of time during the season.

There are things I don't understand about this Super system - like after they drain the honey on the video, the cappings do not appear to have split - you'd have thought that moving half the comb by 2.5mm would surely split the wax capping, wouldn't you? I suppose a split capping gives the bees a clue that they ought to look inside the comb that they thought was full of honey. The other puzzling thing is that they don't mention the use of a queen excluder under the Flow Hive Super. I can't see that you'd want the queen laying eggs in that complicated contraption!

There are probably other things that aren't quite clear to a lot of other UK beeks but there is NO evidence that this is a scam - it's just a crowd-funding project that went spectacularly successful - the Andersons would, I am sure, have been happy and more comfortable with $70,000 that they originally wanted. Now they've got all the problems highlighted by Pargyle.

CVB

- you'd have thought that moving half the comb by 2.5mm would surely split the wax capping, wouldn't you? I suppose a split capping gives the bees a clue that they ought to look inside the comb that they thought was full of honey.

Some of the capping do split, but when wax is warm it is quite pliable.

The other puzzling thing is that they don't mention the use of a queen excluder under the Flow Hive Super. I can't see that you'd want the queen laying eggs in that complicated contraption!

They do mention it... The flow frame boxes are used as supers, separate from the brood area, but because the cells of the flow frame comb are so deep the queen would be unable to lay eggs in them.

Last edited:
Well it will not be until at least Spring/Summer 2016, that we will get a question on the forums here about it on Flow Hive!

So we can wait until then, to see how good the Flow Hive is in the UK.

this guy doesn't get it..

I am not tech savvy. I find it very disconcerting that I am paying for something in the form of a “contribution” where is my receipt, invoice marked as paid or proof of my original order I placed on the day of the launch. Now I am paying postage. How can I be sure I am giong to receive this?

Maybe we should start breeding special "flow bees designed for use with the flow hive!" someone start a kickstarter!

22,000 customers that need flow designer bees!

Last edited:
Maybe we should start breeding special "flow bees designed for use with the flow hive!" someone start a kickstarter!

Good idea, when should we say the plastic stingless bees will be ready to dispatch... couple of years, give ourselves plenty of time to scarper with the loot and be forgotten about.

Originally Posted by einsteinagogo View Post
Good idea, when should we say the plastic stingless bees will be ready to dispatch... couple of years, give ourselves plenty of time to scarper with the loot and be forgotten about.

.... and make them Native stingless bees and produce a modification for a TBH or sun hive... and I think you will be onto a winner!

Now if I could get my car to run on tapwater>>>>>

Yeghes da

this guy doesn't get it..

I am not tech savvy. I find it very disconcerting that I am paying for something in the form of a “contribution” where is my receipt, invoice marked as paid or proof of my original order I placed on the day of the launch. Now I am paying postage. How can I be sure I am giong to receive this?

22,000 customers that need flow designer bees!

Doesnt matter how many times you tell people about scams.
Tarmac for the drive.
Paint your roof with this new stuff.
You have tiles missing.
This is the police, go and get your money out of the bank and we will send a courier to collect it...........
Cars for sale on ebay..its in France, when you pay for it we will meet you at Dover docks.

What planet do people live on that they have never heard of these things..

I was once told that the easiest way to get somebody's credit card details was to ask them for it....Phone them up with a special offer etc.

...I was once told that the easiest way to get somebody's credit card details was to ask them for it....Phone them up with a special offer etc.
Security researchers tried surveying commuters at a train station. They promised a chocolate bar, I think it was, in return for a quick survey. Dropped a few general questions then asked for their logon id and password. A sizeable majority handed it over without objection.

Now this is a very sensible move... the money collecting campaign has been extended to another fifteen days on indiegogo.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/flow-hive-honey-on-tap-directly-from-your-beehive#activity

Yep ... another $1m worth of available mugs still out there judging by the present continuing flow of cash ...

The first signs of creaking infrastructure seem to be showing with lots of comments from people who have paid (or tried to pay) for the shipping costs - getting little or no response or any confirmation that their shipping fees have been tied to their 'order'.

I wonder if all these people who have 'ordered' their flow hives realise that, with crowdfunding, they are not protected by the normal laws and regulations covering retail purchases or on line selling that operate in most countries and are quite strict in Australia ... there's a bit of a gap in the protection fence normally available to people spending their money ...

Latest posts

Back