Repeat Oxalic vaporising - but with honey on the hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Person II: We speak about honey. Would you calculate how much you should eate honey to get those equivalents?

Warning: I have Studied biochemistry in University 6 years from English books.
There are civilization over English Channel which is only 20 miles broad to Europe.

Perhaps you should have said that the likely contaminating levels in honey are relatively harmless. It avoids confusion.
As a studied biochemist I'm sure you know the importance of conveying information accurately rather than ambiguously.
But feel free to eat 25gms or more (depends on your weight,,,,not that I'm insinuating you may have a weight problem) to disprove that oxalic acid itslef is harmless anytime you wish.
Some would say the sooner the better.

Warning: I studied the role of oxalic acid in Primary hyperoxaluria for several years, so am fully aware of excess oxalic acid toxicity. Your Coton de Tulear dogs are particular prone to it.

Perhaps you should have said that the likely contaminating levels in honey are relatively harmless. It avoids confusion.
As a studied biochemist I'm sure you know the importance of conveying information accurately rather than ambiguously..

You cannot read. Don't blame me. Read what I wrote. And nothing "relative" included. And we are handlic honey. Not industrial wastes.

As nerve biologist you should find these thing by yourself.

You cannot read. Don't blame me. Read what I wrote. And nothing "relative" included. And we are handlic honey. Not industrial wastes.

If you cannot write accurately you shouldn't be surprised if people don't understand exactly what you are saying.....It's little wonder we have problems understanding your pidgin English.
But as a biochemist you should know better than to say Oxalic acid is harmless.

Lets evaluate oxalic acid content

Carrot 5g/ kg

Honey 0.05-0.7 g/kg. ....... Lets say 0.5

To get 50 g oxalic acid you should eate honey 100 kg - 1000 kg.

Last edited:
If you cannot write accurately you shouldn't be surprised if people don't understand exactly what you are saying.....It's little wonder we have problems understanding your pidgin English.
But as a biochemist you should know better than to say Oxalic acid is harmless.

I wrote in honey. Read again.

Back on track for a second.
Given that the LDA for oxalic is 15-25grammes (taking figures from this thread)
Even the potential 9 grammes added by 3 treatments would not cause a problem unless someone ate 2 or 3 hives of honey and that the entire amount of oxalic acid ended up in the honey, which isn't very likely.

I need not to agree. Normal knowledge and my opinion is not needed in it.

It is not toxic in small amounts. It is normal element in human food.

So why did you start a thread trying to stop someone using it ?

Your words Finman, IT IS HARMLESS.
Oxalic acid as you have just conferred is not harmless.

Why you continue your stupid game?

Ofcourse it is harmful. That is why it kills mites. And if kills bees too if you give too strong dosage. Nothing secret in that

Where? I have teached English beekeepers 10 years how to use oxalic acid in beehives.
How to buy own balance and how to make own solution to hives. 10 years!

Finman didn't
Repeat Oxalic vaporising - but while there is honey on the hive.

Oxalic doesn't evaporate away like the Formic in MAQS.
So this strikes me as a REALLY BAD idea, with 3 crop supers in place.
But how can I convince an Oxalic vaporising enthusiast of that?

Or is it OK really and you've done it and got away with it?

I thought that it was supposed to be done in winter, no honey, no brood?

It was originally but such is the residual effect you can vape three times at five day intervals and get most of the mites if you have brood.

Last edited:
where? I have teached english beekeepers 10 years how to use oxalic acid in beehives.
How to buy own balance and how to make own solution to hives. 10 years!

you started this thread !!!!!!

I think we need to check those LDA figures again since we excrete about 50grammes a day of the stuff from dietary intake.

Back on track for a second.
Given that the LDA for oxalic is 15-25grammes (taking figures from this thread)
Even the potential 9 grammes added by 3 treatments would not cause a problem unless someone ate 2 or 3 hives of honey and that the entire amount of oxalic acid ended up in the honey, which isn't very likely.

It is important to distinguish that (lethal) ingested dose from the amount that would be 'merely' harmful.
It damages joints, rather like arthritis or gout.
And inhaled, damage to throat and lungs will result at much much much lower doses than the ingested lethal dose.

Unfortunately, someone claimed that Oxalic was "harmless", and I thought it would be quick to correct that by pointing out how a smallish quantity is lethal.
My mistake to think that would stop that nonsense.

Latest posts

Back