Labels - so how can this possibly be legal?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is your campaign getting on, Derek?
Any worthwhile results.

I had hoped to get the BBKA involved but as detailed elsewhere they are otherwise engaged internally. The legality according to Basingstoke trading standards is settled, every bit of print on the label is the legal description.

Essentially anything can be labelled in a style that means its is effectively called "honey", named "honey" in commercials, named "honey" in advertising literature, use bees in the commercials
so long as the tiny print says it is only an ingredient, trace ingredient or maybe an ingredient in another ingredient

Only if it does not have the tiny print then the restrictions apply.

The approach now is
1)to shame the industries who are exploiting the plight and the high profile of honeybees while doing nothing except drag the reputation of honey down
2) to highlight the ludicrous nature of the the regulations where anything can be marketed as honey so long as there are weasel words on the label.
3)highlight The killing of honeybees in commercials through unnecessary and rough handling.

Last edited:
I'd be tempted to get a second opinion rather than rely on your local trading standards who were desperate to find a reason to fob you off. Last thing they want is to take action against a multi national.

Edit: Plus this is a job for the BBKA not an individual.

Last edited:
1)to shame the industries who are exploiting the plight and the high profile of honeybees while doing nothing except drag the reputation of honey down

Be careful what you wish for.

At least one of these companies is buying over 50 tonnes a year of BRITISH honey to use in their product.

I am involved in a project with another company who want 54 tonnes per annum of UK honey too. (Too late to come to market IMHO as other are in first.)

Generating a major market for UK honey is one of the BEST ways to help beekeepers and their bees in general.

3)highlight The killing of honeybees in commercials through unnecessary and rough handling.
:iagree:
the way they treat those poor bees in that Magner's advert - forcing them to stay on that blokes face is deplorable, and as for the Coop adverts making them carry all that shopping.....................

Generating a major market for UK honey is one of the BEST ways to help beekeepers and their bees in general.

:iagree:

That, and loads of insulation :rolleyes:

At least one of these companies is buying over 50 tonnes a year of BRITISH honey to use in their product.

I am involved in a project with another company who want 54 tonnes per annum of UK honey too. (Too late to come to market IMHO as other are in first.)

Get them involved in lobbying to keep SHB out.

no problem where the labeling is not using the term honey as the sole object of the commonly used name.
e.g. I have issue with it being marketed as "Magners honey."
but not Magners Spiced Apple & Honey cider

While honey has been in alcohol for thousands of years I object to the recent sudden brand takeovers of honey by just attaching it to the end of the existing company name or brand name.
As far as I can find out The companies using this tactic are actually using zero or very very little honey.

How much honey are you selling to go in Three Barrels Honey? J&B Urban Honey? Bushmills Irish Honey?

Last edited:
I'm with Derek now - had a glass of harvey's Bristol cream before my Christmas dinner - no sign of any kind of dairy products at all in it - outrageous!
And as for the handful of monkey nuts SWMBO had in her stocking.............................

I'm with Derek now - had a glass of harvey's Bristol cream before my Christmas dinner - no sign of any kind of dairy products at all in it - outrageous!
And as for the handful of monkey nuts SWMBO had in her stocking.............................

Allegedly Harveys Bristol cream was so named because some Aristocratic Lady had been enjoying a tasting session when she sampled some Harveys Bristol Milk followed by a sample of a new Sherry and said " if the last one was the milk then this one must be the cream." Hence it's name is due to a Harvey's legend.

Allegedly Harveys Bristol cream was so named because some Aristocratic Lady had been enjoying a tasting session when she sampled some Harveys Bristol Milk
Another one - I bet you there's no milk in it either!! how do you get in touch with that 38 degrees thing?
..............and does their office have 39 steps leading to the entrance?

Just coming to post the same link as above.

Someone said about 54 tonnes of honey being bought up to use in alcohol. I spose it all depends on whether you think people should eat more honey or drink more alcohol.
Are those 54 tonnes of honey currently sat around uneaten at the end of the year or are they currently being sold as honey for eating?

Food seems to be getting sweeter and sweeter as a way of encouraging us to eat more of it.
http://www.salon.com/2010/02/15/why_your_food_is_getting_sweeter/

Is adding honey to alcohol good for beekeepers?

It's not going to be small beekeepers who will sell their honey, so will perhaps encourage more of the larger commercial techniques as seen in the US?

Where did you read this?

And they can have my half a ton whenever they want it as well!

Latest posts

Back