First Snow

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife thought it was an owl of some sort but using my Swarovski birding binoculars it was clearly a hawk of some kind. I think it most likely was a common buzzard - too big for a sparrow hawk - but it was lighter in colour than the images in my books. Perhaps the bright sun? Anyway thanks peeps. Amazing variety of birds round here!!!

With Buzzards You do get light & dark phases, from chocolate brown chest to almost white, im actually a falconer too so i know a little bit about Bop's :)

Interesting thread...Beautifull snow pic !!! .... though fantastic as it is .. prefer the sun :)

Also the hawk... interesting.

Nature is truly Beautifull !

Bird in woods opposite kitchen window yesterday. Sat there for 4 hours or so sunning itself and sending squirrels potty. What is it 'cos my books don't help? View attachment 11193 About 20 inches tall.

Much too small for a Buzzard, looks like a Kestrel to me , probably 'puffed' up to keep warm. The banding around the eyes is the give away and lack of banding on the chest which would have indicated sparrow hawk.
S

PS like the pic of hives in snow but very very glad they are not mine as I hate the cold. What strain of bee do you keep Mike?

Much too small for a Buzzard, looks like a Kestrel to me , probably 'puffed' up to keep warm. The banding around the eyes is the give away and lack of banding on the chest which would have indicated sparrow hawk.
S

That doesn't sound like any Kestrel I've ever seen. Jonnybeegood has already posted the answer, a Buzzard.

That doesn't sound like any Kestrel I've ever seen. Jonnybeegood has already posted the answer, a Buzzard.

If you want to believe its a buzzard, fine but your wrong, smallest buzzard I have ever seen. They are a very big bird, the one in the pic was not!
S

PS like the pic of hives in snow but very very glad they are not mine as I hate the cold. What strain of bee do you keep Mike?

I love the cold. It's spelled...vacation :)

My bees are heavily carniolan mutts, but I've added so many different strains to my apiaries over the years that I guess over here they would be called:

Heinz...57 varieties.

Originally Italian, changed over to Texas Buckfast in anticipation of acarine. Added Hygienic Carniolan to clean up the chalkbrood. Added 10 years of VSH stock. Bees went black after Buck/Carni addition with death of all yellow bees due to acarine. Now yellow is re-appearing. Go figure

Whatever they are, they treat me well.

If you want to believe its a buzzard, fine but your wrong, smallest buzzard I have ever seen. They are a very big bird, the one in the pic was not!
S
No, I'm right. The plumage alone rules out any of your previous suggestions but you are free to carry on believing what you want, makes no odds to me.

No, I'm right. The plumage alone rules out any of your previous suggestions but you are free to carry on believing what you want, makes no odds to me.

Again you are wrong, I get paid to ID birds for a living, it is not a buzzard. Believe what you like makes not a jot of difference to me either !!
S

If you want to believe its a buzzard, fine but your wrong

No, I'm right.

I rekon it is a daddy cock dog bird.

bd.jpg

Last edited:
Boy, would I like to spend some time in the UK field with you.

Currently undertaking wintering bird surveys for a large turbine site and a proposed re-opening of a quarry to supply stone for the Swansea Hydro scheme.
You would be more than welcome to join me if you are anywhere near the far SW, PM me if you are ever near?
S

I hope the enraged parents are not on the school doorstep tomorrow - or maybe your school has broken up for hols.

nope they weren't but the police had been round their homes to arrest them for criminal damage and assault.

if I hadn't put my back out at work restraining a pupil on Friday that is, I would.
I find the best way of restraint is two or three knee strikes to the thigh or lowerleg followed by a straight arm takedown going into an entangled arm lock or, if you want to be showy an inverted wrist take down followed by the same in a lock (but it's a b*gger to keep on for any amount of time)

Latest posts

Back