Honey from East Timor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torq

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 Hives, 4 Nucs.
Just opened a small bottle of honey from East Timor. It's very dark, runny and tastes of.... bananas!

SWMBO brought some honey back from her placement in Uganda ;a special gift from them to me in the hope I'll go over there instead of Lesotho next time -
Mbale/CAP (the NGO sponsoring the project along with bees for development) Mount Elgon honey
Ingredients include Fructose, Sucrose, Glucose, Maltose and water . On the label it said it was good for the treatment of coughs, diahorrea (a combination of those two could be interesting!) diabetes and the treatment of burns and wounds.
It was black, runny and smelt of molasses tasted interesting but not unpleasant - nicer than the Corsivan honey she brought back for me last year when she went to her friend's place in Provence
I wonder what they thought of the jar of Brynmair honey that SWMBO took over to them.

SWMBO brought some honey back from her placement in Uganda ;a special gift from them to me in the hope I'll go over there instead of Lesotho next time -
Mbale/CAP (the NGO sponsoring the project along with bees for development) Mount Elgon honey
Ingredients include Fructose, Sucrose, Glucose, Maltose and water . On the label it said it was good for the treatment of coughs, diahorrea (a combination of those two could be interesting!) diabetes and the treatment of burns and wounds.
It was black, runny and smelt of molasses tasted interesting but unpleasant - nicer than the Corsivan honey she brought back for me last year when she went to her friend's place in Provence
I wonder what they thought of the jar of Brynmair honey that SWMBO took over to them.

Could it just be that they sent their most putrid sample to dissuade you from coming???

Just opened a small bottle of honey from East Timor. It's very dark, runny and tastes of.... bananas!

I know the Indonesian lady behind the exporting of this honey (at least the larger quantities). I have some lovely photos of its production. It is Apis dorsata honey. Hence its nature is rather different to that which we are accustomed.

I know the Indonesian lady behind the exporting of this honey (at least the larger quantities). I have some lovely photos of its production. It is Apis dorsata honey. Hence its nature is rather different to that which we are accustomed.

Not this bottle. It was brought back by a young lad who is doing civil rights work for the UN and only comes home for Christmas, this was last years present and we only opened it today.

Not this bottle. It was brought back by a young lad who is doing civil rights work for the UN and only comes home for Christmas, this was last years present and we only opened it today.

Hence the proviso about the larger quantities. However your description is pretty good. Hope he is ok, its a tough place to work in.

Could it just be that they sent their most putrid sample to dissuade you from coming???

hmm if that's the case - they don't want bees for development back either -they gave SWMBO two jars - one of which I've been asked to pass on to Janet Lowore of BfD (after SWMBO's reports it's the last place I'd go to anyway)

Hence the proviso about the larger quantities. However your description is pretty good. Hope he is ok, its a tough place to work in.

He'll be fine. He's very well connected and would be able to have the minister for foreign affairs on his case in minutes if he ever got into trouble.

Not somewhere I'd like to work either.

Latest posts

Back