Hot smoker in the car?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just bung the end with some grass or a cork and it will extinguish the smoker in a few minutes and will be cool enough to handle in 5

And it will stick the lid to the body a treat!
E

Got budget smokers cheap so have 1 at each apiary site

I've decided to use a water spray to ensure empty smoker is cool and to put a metal bucket in the car to put the extinguished smoker in. Cheap, and hopefully safe. Next problem is how to ensure the smoker Dosnt go rusty

Strange coincidence. I have three different smokers, and it is the polish one that is going rusty.

A coffee tin

To work around a hot smoker I take along a metal coffee tin and at the end of the beekeeping session I empty the contents of the smoker into the tin and put the lid on.

The tin has a slightly smaller diameter than my smoker and so I then sit the sealed tin in the smoker. By the time I've taken off my suit the smoker, having no fuel in it has cooled down, the tin is airtight so the fuel has gone out, there are no embers left on the ground so no fear of setting light to grass, hedge and I am not leaving unsightly marks on the ground when in an out apiary.

And best of all, when I next go to use my smoker, either the same day if I have hives in different locations or the following week if not, I have a small tin full of part burned fuel which lights easily.

The coffee tin I use is made by Illy, it's on the top shelf with the premium coffee at Tesco

top tip JackStraw.

A point that hasn't been mentioned is the risk of petrol vapour with naked flames (or dull embers). Might be sensible if you carry a spare petrol can and a recently lit smoker, to put one in the front of the car and one in the boot.
(and because it's the vapour that is the danger, an 'empty' petrol can is just as if not more explosive than a full one.)

Just chuck it in, next to the jerry can and cross yer fingers!

top tip JackStraw.

A point that hasn't been mentioned is the risk of petrol vapour with naked flames (or dull embers). Might be sensible if you carry a spare petrol can and a recently lit smoker, to put one in the front of the car and one in the boot.
(and because it's the vapour that is the danger, an 'empty' petrol can is just as if not more explosive than a full one.)

One day I put my smoker (which was out but warm) into the boot of the car. Also in the boot is a 120 litre LPG tank.....HHHmmmm Perhaps not really a clever idea.

Illy coffee is available from Amazon as a Subscribe & Save item, cheaper than Tesco. My former Italian flatmate said that Illy is some of the best coffee available, he should know what he's talking about!
It's a good tip, think I'll try it when the new season gets underway, thanks.

To work around a hot smoker I take along a metal coffee tin and at the end of the beekeeping session I empty the contents of the smoker into the tin and put the lid on.

The tin has a slightly smaller diameter than my smoker and so I then sit the sealed tin in the smoker. By the time I've taken off my suit the smoker, having no fuel in it has cooled down, the tin is airtight so the fuel has gone out, there are no embers left on the ground so no fear of setting light to grass, hedge and I am not leaving unsightly marks on the ground when in an out apiary.

And best of all, when I next go to use my smoker, either the same day if I have hives in different locations or the following week if not, I have a small tin full of part burned fuel which lights easily.

The coffee tin I use is made by Illy, it's on the top shelf with the premium coffee at Tesco

Illy coffee is available from Amazon as a Subscribe & Save item, cheaper than Tesco. My former Italian flatmate said that Illy is some of the best coffee available, he should know what he's talking about!
It's a good tip, think I'll try it when the new season gets underway, thanks.

Might try the coffee!

Illy espresso is lovely BUT Lavazza espresso is just as nice and a lot cheaper, probably the cost of the tin ;)

Think I will stick with the corrugated cardboard, although my sister swears by dried out teabags!

James

My small auto gas lighter blew up last year as I was carrying it away after a small fire...

My small auto gas lighter blew up last year as I was carrying it away after a small fire...

I have had a lighter explode in the car. I parked it outside a shop under a tree. The sun moved round (or the earth turned!) and shone into the car.

It took me a while to realise what the small pieces of scattered plastic were.

I also had a bad habit of lighting my smoker, then popping the lighter in my top pocket of the beesuit. Unfortunately, other things were also crammed into the pocket, and the gas button must of been depressed. The result after a few minutes was a flash and my chest and veil were on fire. (my t-shirt was melted to my beesuit as was the melted lighter!)

I now use a long kitchen lighter which cannot fit into my pocket or centre console.

I've read a few people put incense in their smoker, supposedly it calms the bees and smells great. Anyone care to share their experience of this?

Back