Which scope?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm starting to think about microscopy but haven't a clue about the subject, so where do I begin? I suppose the Yates study notes first? But which scope or scopes should I chose? I've had a look on line at the Brunel primary and advanced sets. The advanced is more than I want to spend but is the primary ok? What do other beeks use?

I'm starting to think about microscopy but haven't a clue about the subject, so where do I begin? I suppose the Yates study notes first? But which scope or scopes should I chose? I've had a look on line at the Brunel primary and advanced sets. The advanced is more than I want to spend but is the primary ok? What do other beeks use?

I shall watch your thread with interest. Have you looked through any microscopes at all yet - it's amazing what you can see with just 40x.

I fancy having more of 'a look' - so I've signed up for a half day 'taster' session in October with Microbees - but that's Bath based, so not much use to you :eek:. One of the subjects is exactly what you're asking - how to choose and buy.

I keep looking at the pre-owned section on Brunel's site - but I'm keeping my cash in my pocket for now...

How much is your budget and what do you want to do with it?

There is an excellent course in beekeeping microscopy run by Harrogate and Ripon beekeepers . Lots of beekeepers from all over west and north Yorkshire have been on their courses and many now have the BBKA microscopy certificate. They will give you all the independent advice you need.

I used to have a Cooke, Troughton and Sims binocular - rotating turret, oil immersion optics - you know the kind of thing - broke my heart when it was stolen. But to be honest, unless you're going to go the whole hog and prepare slides etc, that kind of instrument is well OTT.

For occasional use, these days I use a simple magnifying glass - ex-China (via Ebay of course) - x32 - plenty good enough for a quick 'looksee', although you need a good lighting source nearby. Only cost a couple of quid.

I also have a pocket microscope from the Natural History Museum - it has a built-in light source and a zoom magnification up to x40 if memory serves. I bought mine off Ebay - a fiver I think. It's fun to use, and the sort of thing you can carry around with you - although a tad more awkward to use than a simple magnifying lens.

Unless you plan on doing serious work with a 'scope, I'd recommend trying a x32 magnifying glass before parting with your hard-earned cash.

Well lets start off with the fact that there are different microscope types for different uses.
Dissection for studying bee anatomy, and detection of acarine a stereo dissecting microscope is required, this gives a 3-D view relatively low magnification and and upright view so that you can manipulate whilst viewing.

You can do an acarine dissection using an ordinary magnifying glass on a stand for the dissection and a X10 loupe for the examination.

For pollen analysis and detection of nosema you need a compound microscope with magnification going upto X400. A compound microscope givesz an inverted view so manipulation is almost impossible.

Foul Brood detection needs X1000 magnification and that means oil immersion lenses.

So to recap dissection Stereo microscope giving up to X40 magnification.

Pollen, Nosema and foul Broods Compound microscope X4, X10, X40 and X100 objectives with X10 eyepieces. Mechanical stage is a great help.
Ruary

You can't go wrong with a stereo dissection microscope (max. magnification 45x to 90x or so). For bee anatomy (and an entire world of insects, spiders and much more), you'll get hours of pleasure. The most important thing is strong, precise lighting. This used to mean purchasing a light source with fiber-optic conductors -- which alone could set one back a good bit of cash, but today you can find much less expensive lighting sources that place 3 Wt LED lamps on the end of flex-arms, etc.

Zoom is nice, but will increase the price. A third tube for the camera is nice, but will significantly increase the price (and more than just the difference in scope prices).

I would recommend a 10x WF objective. Higher and the field of view is too narrow and depth too flat.

If you have never used a microscope before, I would start with one of these scopes and then graduate to the higher power devices for pollen examination, etc. later. One source to look at are the Novex scopes from Euromex. Their AP line is intended for the secondary school, etc. and would not be a bad start point (can always be passed down in the family)...

http://www.euromex.com/gb/catalog/novex-ap-series/447/

I see one (the AP-8) on the German Ebay site offered (new) for immediate purchase for 169 EUR, so they aren't terribly expensive. I use a zoom trinoscope from the Novex RZ series; this will bring you into the 500-1000 EUR range (plus more for camera adapters, etc.). Not expensive enough? Canon, Olympus, etc. all have lovely scopes starting at the 8,000 EUR or so level.

-Kevin (greetings from Berlin -- new here)

Last edited:
My BKA has just purchased two of the Apex Reseacher Microscopes at £219 for nosema detection,binocular and up to X800 magnification

our members can loan then free with a kits of extras... dissection scissor, slides and cover, tweezers etc

but my own microscope is my old university one....46 years old , monocular LOMO, built out of gun metal and a bit like a Russian tank in its over engineering...you could do serious injury to your self if you dropped it on your foot..but very stable at higher magnification

Latest posts

Back