Painting inside of poly hives?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know to the three specific questions.

While an ammonia-based alkaline cleaner would be less human-risk than scrubbing with caustic drain-unblocker, I have no idea what the risks to the bees might be from residual ammonia, or what a suitable 'weathering time' might be to air-off whatever residues remain.

of course you must wash the residuals with pure water, what ever it is.

Ammonia is not bad stuff. Air off? Ammonia is very soluble to water.

"You have no idea but"....... You have opinions more.

Kitchen and bath room chemicals are quite safe because even stupid guys use them.

How ammonia works? Color your hair and you know it. You notice ammonia very clearly.

You head skin may be fire red next day but you are alive and 10 y younger :rolleyes:

Last edited:
"You head skin may be fire red next day but you are alive and 10 y younger "

Finman - the new Nicky Hambleton-Jones (or myleene klass to keep on trend)!!!!

I can't wait for his Gok Wan impression at the BKF xmas do.

Hmm actually no.

On a fire course some years ago, we were told about a plumber who got badly burned because domestic chemicals had been put down the offending drain, no one bothered to tell him so he added another and it blew back on him leaving him very badly scarred.

So... take care...

PH

With a mesh floor I have read that it is advisable to insert the tray when snow is on the ground in order to cut down the level of reflected light which may cause the bees to think that it is a warm sunny day (?). With MB polys the inside is white and this reflection,with tray left out, will be greater. I see no harm in painting the inside with matt black emulsion, which will minimise internal reflected light transmission. Any thoughts PolyHive?

I've never seen that - but what is normally advised is a board is leaned across the entrance when there is snow on the ground.

The accepted thing to do with the varroa tray in winter is to leave it out all the time.

The inside of a hive is hardly visible to the bees so I wouldn't worry about painting the inside of a hive black.

Sometimes beekeepers think to much and ignore the experience of others, which in the case of unpainted (internally) poly hives, is almost all poly hive users.

OK........a lot been written while I have been away..........

In our instruction sheets for polystyrene hives, devised through our own experience laid on top of the advice from Scandinavia (sometimes incorrect btw) we recommend the following:=

Paint all parts of the hive which are normally exposed to the light. This means all outside surfaces. It is NOT necessary to paint the internal surfaces of the boxes, floor, or roofs, as the bees do this themselves with an imperceptibly thin layer of propolis. they varnish them, and when the box is fairly new you only see it where they fill in the tiny gaps between the beads of material. the rest still looks white, but set it against a split new one and you will see the slight difference. They do this to wooden ones as well btw.

So.....paint all outside facing surfaces. We use exterior gloss, but acryllic emulsion(water based) masonry paint is also satisfactory, and is the best paint for feeder insides.
Gloss paint, thinned as directed to a consistency recommended fopr spraying actually bonds with the box surface as it dissolves and mixes with a microscopically thin layer of the surface. Unless you go OTT witht he thinners yopu will never notice that this has occurred, but done correctly the paint never ever flakes.

So....Outside surfaces gloss or masonry paint.......inside the feeder (syrup compartment only) masonry paint.

Undersides of floor need not be painted as the algae do not get enough light there to grow, and so that surface stays just fine without paint.

All surfaces that the bees have access to inside the hive (interiors of floor, all boxes, and underside of feeder) need not be painted.

Only variant to that, and may be where the confusion arises, is that the material is rather translucent, especially in areas where it is thin. Our recommendation was for our National boxes, and ONLY our National boxes, where to ensure full compatibility with wood the front and back edges at the rebate are rather thin, that to prevent the bees trying to chew out to the light you should paint that area with a coat or two of polyurethane varnish. This puts a tough surface on the material and even the most persistent chewers cannot get into it. A secondaruy benefit is that it renders the surfaces more easily scrapeable.

As an aside, in Denmark, even with high density materials, I observed then painting the bottom edges of the front and rear of the boxes with this varnish, and the same reason was given, prevention of chewing. I am presuming it to be a precautionary move, with a lot due to past experience with 70g/L and 80g/L materials. The Nakka ones, in the photo earlier in the thread of the big stack of poly boxes, were normally made at 80g/L, and yes, I have lots of them, with very little or no attrition rate since buying them 11 years ago. Not anywhere near as good as the one piece versions at 100g/L and more that are the normal today. (This preceding paragraph relates to Langstroth btw).

Kitchen and bath room chemicals are quite safe because even stupid guys use them.

Clever guys convince their wives that they are incapable of using them.
Thus being sent out to mow the lawn whilst wifey does a 'proper job' of cleaning (I wish)
Hmm actually no.

On a fire course some years ago, we were told about a plumber who got badly burned because domestic chemicals had been put down the offending drain, no one bothered to tell him so he added another and it blew back on him leaving him very badly scarred.

So... take care...

PH

Exactly - that's why I try to avoid contact with nasty bathroom and kitchen cleaners wherever possible.

Might you scan and put up the instruction sheet ITLD?

I know you use gloss but I find emulsion works fine too.

PH

With a mesh floor I have read that it is advisable to insert the tray when snow is on the ground in order to cut down the level of reflected light which may cause the bees to think that it is a warm sunny day (?). With MB polys the inside is white and this reflection,with tray left out, will be greater. I see no harm in painting the inside with matt black emulsion, which will minimise internal reflected light transmission. Any thoughts PolyHive?

real nonsense.....greetings from snow world...

Those bees which come out during from are mostly sick. They cannot return to the hive. They come out to die.
Normal bee may fly out but returns at once.

I have had polyhives 23 years. I have not heard that somebody paits inner walls.
No one here is nervous because of light reflection via snow. Never heard. you go too far with your innovations.

Last edited:
Might you scan and put up the instruction sheet ITLD?

I know you use gloss but I find emulsion works fine too.

PH

Do you know what lyson coats there's with (hard to tell from photos) looks like gloss from photos.

Back