What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting one. Last year the hawthorn went absolutely bonkers, never seen so much flowering. This year however the prolonged cold weather has put it to sleep with lots of it not flowering or even producing blossoms.

Brick red pollen from chestnut going in today. The trees are not that close by so the bees are flying about a mile to forage on them.
Yes, red pollen sacs fairly frequent in all my hives but it's difficult to see a single bee on the blossom of the two nearby horse chestnut trees.

This has popped up haven't a clue what it is

Attachments

• 2024-05-21T09_54_33+01_00.JPEG
    2024-05-21T09_54_33+01_00.JPEG
    675.8 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240521_085641235.jpg
    PXL_20240521_085641235.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
Had a walk around by the river wye and sourounding fields/parks and the blackberries are flowering well with all manner of insects on them,
I’ve never seen so much hb by the river before this being the first season anyway, lime trees are budding up nicely.

Had a walk around by the river wye and sourounding fields/parks and the blackberries are flowering well with all manner of insects on them,
I’ve never seen so much hb by the river before this being the first season anyway, lime trees are budding up nicely.
No blackberries out here yet but the cabbage palms have started. Amazing smell.

Attachments

• IMG_7251.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
I think we are in the June gap already here in N somerset. Hives are losing weight, the sycamore and chestnut are finished, hawthorne is going over, and white clover only just appearing.

Quite a number of frames yesterday had a scattering of purple pollen. Really deep purple, more so than shows in the photo. It's not a colour I've seen in pollen charts or in Margaret Adams book but I found an article claiming that it comes from Phacelia. Thoughts / comments?

Purple pollen.jpg

Back