What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you fine folk use to make your crown/clearer boards? Is it ok to use ply or will that warp? Ta

Correx sheets stapled to an eke. The rhombi, I cut in half and stick to the correx in the corners using aluminium tape. I then use the correx sheets with the rhombi and ekes removed to separate stored supers over winter, sealing the small corner holes with more aluminium tape so no beasties can move between supers.

What do you fine folk use to make your crown/clearer boards? Is it ok to use ply or will that warp? Ta
I use thin ply ( 5.5mm) with 8mm strip one side and 50mm eke the other. That stops it from warping.

Reactions: Ely
Planning and measuring for larger surfaces for my Apideas. I don't want them in my apiaries - too many other bees who will probably get nosey. Last year they were on pairs of decking boards making a platform on top of my garden fence, bordering a commercial orchard. This year I'm going to make the boards about a metre deep and cover with pond liner (of which I have an abundant supply). They will be supported by timber angled up from the horizontal structural timbers of the fence. The farmer has his fence and I have mine so there's a sort of no-man's land in between that my boards will be overhanging.

I've been making up super frames and re-waxing old ones over the last couple of days. Partly because there's a fair chance I'll need them and I don't want to get "caught short", but also because it gets a load of kit out of the bee shed which is quite stuffed at the moment, using up wired super foundation and frame parts. After rationalising all the frame parts and foundation I was surprised at how many I appear to have accumulated. Not all for supers -- a fair bit of brood as well, but there's less urgency there, not least because I don't have anywhere left to store very many brood frames.

James

It's only on the EU site, not the UK one (at least, not last time I looked). I had to contact Duncan(?) directly to get that version.

James
Me too James. I just emailed Duncan back and forth a few times and he was able to supply with no issues. If anyone is nervous about buying the right battery and charger he will even supply your choice too. Mind you, Brexit stung again. Courier prices to N. Ireland. Doh!!! Haven't got it going yet but soon.. soon. It looks so shiny and sturdily made. I want to get a metal ammo box to transport/ store properly so will have to look into that.

Ply
Laminated sheet
Formica covered sheet
boards made from compressed wood pulp (wood stained).
Perspex.

ie. anything free/cheap

Made surfaces on top of my back fence for mini-mating nucs (Apideas). Glad to say it was all outdoors in the sunshine, and not in the garage.

Apidea surfaces.jpg

Getting the boards at B&Q yesterday was a delight. The chap at the cutting booth (always very helpful, even when he has to say no) collected an 8x4 OSB for me. They didn't have 15mm - just 9 or 18mm - so he asked what I was going to use it for. I always become a rambling idiot in situations like that, completely unable to describe the task in generic terms, so I said (feeling very foolish), 'They're for surfaces for boxes used in raising honey bee queens.' His face lit up and he said, 'That's great; I love honey, especially on the comb, and I'd love to keep honey bees.' I said that for me there was no better reason to keep bees, and it was the reason I'd got started. I nipped out to the car and got a jar of honey for him. He was mighty pleased, and I said to be sure and contact me if he ever needed help taking the plunge. (Thanks Dani for the reminder about a jar of honey!)

I made a national deep brood box out of 18mm ply this was my first attempt at this. I modified it to I used 10mm door stop for the top rail first then over that I used 3” bevelled skirting placed upside down and back to front this then acts as handles done the job really well I’ll post a few pics tomorrow.

Last edited:
End of season workshop floor clear up. These are the (mainly) screws I picked up amongst the wood shavings and detritus......
It was getting pretty bad in there, hardly able to move through it. I got most up with a magnet.

Attachments

• IMG_20240521_144417951_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240521_144417951_HDR.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
Back