Asian Hornet, the Devon Initiative

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'
<snip>

On the question of the Mazamazda method: the method is probably OK when you are fighting off hornets in an occupied area , like France, when you are attempting to eradicate whole area populations. To stop initial invasion it has to be a policy 'Identify, observe, track and totally destroy' to prevent primary nests converting to the larger secondaries and then producing founder queens for the next year.

<snip>

It's not a question of either or, it's a matter of using both in tandem. Tracking is not fool proof as the nests can be difficult to find and access. Any delay in finding nests risks foundress release. The Mazzamazda method targets the resident queen via trophallaxis at whatever stage of nest development. The sooner that the Mazzamazda method is deployed in the lifecycle of the hornet the greater its effectiveness will be because there will be fewer hornets in the trophallaxis chain meaning the queen will be more vulnerable earlier on. A single laced hornet at the beginning of the hawking phase may be enough to destroy the queen and colony and nip the problem in the bud. It doesn't stop other hornets being tagged and being tracked back at the same time. It's belt and braces.

'
To stop initial invasion it has to be a policy 'Identify, observe, track and totally destroy' to prevent primary nests converting to the larger secondaries and then producing founder queens for the next year.

I agree... there could be problems with the poisoning method, European Hornets being targeted by those who cannot tell the difference and it may also end up unintentionally wiping out colonies of bees as well.

I agree... there could be problems with the poisoning method, European Hornets being targeted by those who cannot tell the difference and it may also end up unintentionally wiping out colonies of bees as well.

:iagree:

And you know what some are like - with this little 'knowledege' we will have people wandering around all over the place scattering spot on around like confetti

There is a chance of European hornets being targeted although most users would be beekeepers protecting their bees. I can't think of a way colonies of bees could be wiped out.

Do you think that members of the public would go to the lengths of catching hornets with an electric swatter and dabbing them with fipronil?

But you advocate trapping which is completely indiscriminant and if you get it wrong and beeks follow your advice there'll be a dam site more honeybee colonies wiped out.

Don't you breed and sell queens?

Do you think that members of the public would go to the lengths of catching hornets with an electric swatter and dabbing them with fipronil?

Yes, it is not only beekeepers that use those electric swatters.

Maybe unlikely but the hornet, European or Asian may not go back to its nest, but carry on and enter a beehive.

They don't enter beehives though, well I've seen it on very very weak ones but that is rare. They are fuming when zapped and treated so they fly 2-3 times faster in a direct route to the nest. I have heard from a customer who treated neat fipronil over a hive and lost some bees but that would be the only way. I take the hornet away and treat away from the hives.

I can't think of a way colonies of bees could be wiped out.

It wouldn't be long before some airhead - whether beekeeper or armchair eco warrior striving to 'save the bees' will latch on to a conversation such as this and leave out a fipronyl laced jar of syrup 'just in case' an asian hornet passes by

Yes, I've seen European hornets entering hives as well.

It is suicide so it might happen on occasion, believe me when I say after a good zap food is the last thing on their mind and in all the hornets ive zapped I have not seen a single one enter a hive.

It wouldn't be long before some airhead - whether beekeeper or armchair eco warrior striving to 'save the bees' will latch on to a conversation such as this and leave out a fipronyl laced jar of syrup 'just in case' an asian hornet passes by

I agree, there are a few points here. Hornets rarely go for syrup, around beehives they go for bees and fipronil goes off after about 6 hours so the window is short for killing any other insect that might feed.

Don't ever recall seeing honeybees feeding on custard or any other foodstuffs laid out on conducive picnic tables let alone on the thorax of a predatory hornet.

That horse bolted ages ago long before vv raised its ugly head. Lay public have been lacing open syrup and sugar for years for wasps and such people aren't educated enough to read blogs such as this.

If you think that's like to be realistic when looking for something that may never happen, you don't know human nature. After a month or two of nothing happening, the Observer Corps will go on holiday/watch football/go to the pub/give up as applicable...

But it has happened , twice, Tetbury 2016 and Woolacombe 2017.

I do love doubting Thomases....they make me all th e more determined!:ohthedrama:

Back