Storing frames over winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How does everyone store their unused frames over winter? Not ones that have honey in them but they might have some drawn wax or propolis on them. I was going to store them in the house behind the sofa in a bin bag but I can smell them already. I could put them in the shed in supers sealed but is there another way?

How does everyone store their unused frames over winter? Not ones that have honey in them but they might have some drawn wax or propolis on them. I was going to store them in the house behind the sofa in a bin bag but I can smell them already. I could put them in the shed in supers sealed but is there another way?

If you have a shed, that would be perfect Rachel.
A queen excluder at thr bottom of a stack, and a roof (or some other sealed cover) on the top is ideal . That way, dust/dirt won't fall into the stack and mice, etc can't access them from the bottom. If you don't have a shed, store them outside in the same way but raised up a little so they. Don't sit in a puddle/snow over winter .

Ok I was trying to keep them warmer so they didn't dry out too much. But you can warm them up with a hairdryer I've heard. I stashed them in my son's room last year while he was at uni but I have too many this year. I've got a wet super outside at the moment under cover so I might just stack them all together.

I've got a wet super outside at the moment under cover so I might just stack them all together.

Wet supers can be put under the brood box (temporarily) for the bees to lick clean. If you leave them, they'll attract ants. etc and may go mouldy. Far better to get the colony to clean any remnants of honey out before you store them.
You don't need to warm them up. The bees will take to them without any problems when they need storage for next years honey.

I store my spare deep and shallow frames in the brood and super boxes in the garage once the bees have cleaned them, they are placed on a up turned roof and then another roof is put on top of each stack, nothing can get in and they stay cool but not freezing when the frosts start not that we get much frost these days.

Last winter I started keeping dry frames of drawn comb outdoors under the roof of my wood shed. They are sheltered from rain and direct sun, just hanging loose on racks, open to the daylight and sheltered wind.
Good results, no wax moth at all. I guess that's because of the spiders, cold temperatures and daylight.

We did have a pretty mild winter but I don't think the frost harms them as long the wax doesn't get touched when it's cold, because it would be brittle.

Last edited:
Always store all my supers wet, blank board top and bottom cinched up tight with a couple of hive straps then stored outside but covered from the rain.
Don't attract ants (and I have plenty) nor go mouldy.
Storing them wet also discourages waxmoth.

I have treated my super frames with Certan this year as I have had terrible problems with wax moth in both brood and super frames this year.

I've got them stacked in my garage loft, strapped up tight with a board top and bottom.

I have treated my super frames with Certan this year as I have had terrible problems with wax moth in both brood and super frames this year.

I've got them stacked in my garage loft, strapped up tight with a board top and bottom.

Sorry to tell you this, but Certan is not effective on eggs, so you are relying on frost to kill the eggs in your garage loft. You are setting yourself up for a fine mess come spring.

Sorry to tell you this, but Certan is not effective on eggs, so you are relying on frost to kill the eggs in your garage loft. You are setting yourself up for a fine mess come spring.

Eggs don't damage comb, larvae do that. Certan kills larvae.

I put all my frames in the freezer, is it safe to put them into a air tight plastic box without them being attacked by wax moth

I put all my frames in the freezer, is it safe to put them into a air tight plastic box without them being attacked by wax moth

Yes freeze theme for a few days then stick them in a box - but make sure it is definitely airtight - tape around the lid doesn't seem to be overkill given the damage the little blighters can cause.

Want makes you think freezing kills insects that normally live outside! I don't have any more faith in freezing.
E

Certan hangs around for ages and kills larvae of moth. Eggs soon hatch into larvae. No problem JWF

I can assure you there is a problem if frost does not kill the eggs. Certan does not hang around for long enough. Unless you have frost you are doomed.

:iagree:
Glad someone's got the message. Not nice when all your supers have been destroyed and someone has to make up for the losses in terms of money and time to make up new frames!

Although I have seen an Australian Bee Authority video that says 3 days minimum for freezing to be truly effective.

Latest posts

Back