extracting from unwired frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfazer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have honey in frames that are fitted with unwired foundation. I now decide I want more run honey and less cut comb.
I have a tangential extractor. Any handy tips for getting the honey out without the wax letting go.
Are rubber bands worth a try?

Late decision eh?

Run the extractor very gently. Turn possibly twice for each side instead of once and do not expect to get the lot out with out blowing combs.

CC is worth more than run so maybe your market needs some education?

PH

Try some local beekeepers and find one who has a radial extractor. Perhaps your local bka has one you can borrow. I never use wired frames in my supers and have very rarely had a problem with combs collapsing.

It's just about a dozen frames for myself.

Try some local beekeepers and find one who has a radial extractor. Perhaps your local bka has one you can borrow. I never use wired frames in my supers and have very rarely had a problem with combs collapsing.

A tangential extractor supports the frames better than a radial. As polyhive says, just spin gently. I put thin foundation in my supers every year but the bees don't always draw it properly so the frames get spun

Extracting has nothing fun. That is why it is good to clear out the job fast. Non wired combs do not support that idea. Unwiring does not save time.

To travel here and there with dozen frames..... And honey goes in greesing neighbours extractor.

Idea born as dead.

Last edited:
A tangential extractor supports the frames better than a radial. As polyhive says, just spin gently. I put thin foundation in my supers every year but the bees don't always draw it properly so the frames get spun

Not necessarily. Some have a mesh/grid basket, some only have a couple of bars and allow the comb to "blow". Gentle spinning for longer would be my choice of method.

Yes, as Finman says, for the sake of a dozen frames, I won't be driving around looking for another extractor to wash.
My own has fairly close wires basket sides so I'm going to spin long and slow and take a chance.

for the sake of a few frames go to b&q get some 6mm mesh cut into four and wire to frames stops them blowing out ,but seriously for a few frames I would cut out crush and strain.

Extracted them last night and turned out I only had 5 that were unwired, I thought I had more. Just took it slow, turned, spun slow, turned, spun a bit faster, turned, etc. was fine.

Latest posts

Back