Golden Syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Can anyone advise on whether its ok to feed golden syrup (or sometimes called corn syrup). I understand its a higher quality syrup, meaning less work for the bees....I've asked locally, but the best answer I can get is "dunno...give it a try".....but i'd rather not if there is any potential downside....I know its more expensive than the traditional method of making syrup...but I have a spare few litres that I could feed that didnt cost me anything...cant seem to find any definitive answer...thoughts ?? Thanks.
:confused:

Golden syrup, as in the stuff in the green tins, is primarily made from cane sugar, not corn syrup.

However, setting that aside, I was given a pallet tank of golden syrup about 5 years ago when a factory making syrup sponges went into liquidation and their supplier had a tank lying in stock that went past its best before date (no idea why it had one, but it did). I bought various things from that supplier and was offered the tank just for the taking away.

Very very thick stuff, but we put it into hive top feeders, covered it with straw, and left the bees to get on with it. Had some degree of trepidation that the syrup might be injurious to the bees, so the first winter we only fed it (without dilution) to 10 hives. All came through just fine, took all the syrup down, and had palinly added water as the stuff was at honey consistency in the combs rather than the very heavy golden syrup style.

The following winter we used up the rest of the tank, again no issues. Maybe we just got lucky, but free was free so I took a chance, and for once did not get bitten on the rump for doing so.

Advice to others? Feed conventionaly if you can, because, despite the apparent success of the trial I would still be wary of what MIGHT happen if we get a long hard winter with little bee flight.

I recall something in The Beekeepers lament' that they fed corn syrup to the bees but stopped the process after a few years as it was not as good as sugar and it brough up some long term issues.

I think Golden Syrup is different to corn syrup. Theoretically it should be fine as it is an invert syrup made from sucrose, but I would not try it on my bees because, possibly wrongly, I would be concerned about impurities causing problems for the bees (eg dysentry).

In America they use HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) for feeding bees but again, not for me. I think the best advice is to play safe and use plain white pure sugar.

Edit: just seen what ITLD wrote - good to know that this has actually been tried, so some real evidence rather than theory.

Last edited:
UK produced "golden syrup" is from cane or beet sugar, not corn. The sugar is partially inverted, meaning partly converted to fructose and glucose from sucrose. The main problem is you have no idea how much HMF there is in it because it's not sold for bees. HMF is produced when acid hydrolysis is used to invert the sugar. Bees are far less tolerant of HMF than humans so it might be at harmful levels, it might not. Storage in warm places will increase the HMF level, so increases the risk to bees.

Golden syrup is more expensive than sugar in the supermarket, more expensive than I can buy ambrosia through the association. No reason to buy it to feed bees. If you have golden syrup in bulk and it cost nothing, it's tempting to try it but balance the ten quid you might save in sugar against the cost of a bee colony if you get it wrong. Your decision, though.

Too good for the bees - I'm sticking to ginger cake for my Golden Syrup :)
(Sticking - geddit??)

... The main problem is you have no idea how much HMF there is in it because it's not sold for bees. HMF is produced when acid hydrolysis is used to invert the sugar. Bees are far less tolerant of HMF than humans so it might be at harmful levels, it might not. Storage in warm places will increase the HMF level, so increases the risk to bees.

Golden syrup is more expensive than sugar in the supermarket, more expensive than I can buy ambrosia through the association. No reason to buy it to feed bees. If you have golden syrup in bulk and it cost nothing, it's tempting to try it but balance the ten quid you might save in sugar against the cost of a bee colony if you get it wrong. Your decision, though.

:iagree:

The 'golden' bit is itself an eyebrow-raiser.
Never feed bees any brown or golden sugar. Risk is the runs and subsequent disease.
HMF is also associated with yellowing of syrup, for example on heating.

No advantage (unless its free).
Possible major downsides.
I wouldn't bother to take the risk.

Thanks guys - really appreciate all your responses (as will my Bees !)...I'll stick to the conventional way of doing things....and use the golden syrup for more domestic issues.... flapjack anyone?
Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back