You have been framed...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find that 15mm nails are not long enough for frames.

In the past I've been supplied with 18mm from Abelo, which are adequate, although sometimes come through the top-bar...I now nail them in just short of fully home. The included nails (pins?) on my recent order from STBK are really effective; 20mm, black, japanned, with good points and a very thin, parallel shank, (@jenkinsbrynmair take note ;) ) These are just right for the first eight nailing points on a frame.
I was supplied with 15mm nails a few years ago from BE, and they seemed too short and were a bit fat.
Thus ends my review of frame nails/pins, and I now depart to get a life. ;)

Does your nail gun put the nails in flush with the wood surface? Mine (Titan TTB516NAL) recommended on here, leaves the head about 1mm proud, annoying!

Does your nail gun put the nails in flush with the wood surface? Mine (Titan TTB516NAL) recommended on here, leaves the head about 1mm proud, annoying!
I use the TTB517STP which looks and seems similar except it does staples as well and I've never really noticed the nails being proud of the surface.
However since I was making up some frames today I realised that they are slightly proud so I made sure that the power was on full and tried again - same result.
Realising the Newtons 3rd law of motion was in action I tried again but pressing harder down on the frame when firing. Sure enough the resulting pin was flush or even slightly below the surface.
Answer - just press harder!!! 😁

I use the TTB517STP which looks and seems similar except it does staples as well and I've never really noticed the nails being proud of the surface.
However since I was making up some frames today I realised that they are slightly proud so I made sure that the power was on full and tried again - same result.
Realising the Newtons 3rd law of motion was in action I tried again but pressing harder down on the frame when firing. Sure enough the resulting pin was flush or even slightly below the surface.
Thanks, I'll give that a try!

Just tried out on a piece of scrap wood - press harder works!
Thank you :)

Just bought a Titan nailer and was similarly disappointed with the brads being proud. Then I read this post... Press harder! Sorted!

Just bought a Titan nailer and was similarly disappointed with the brads being proud. Then I read this post... Press harder! Sorted!

I've found that just resting my hand on the top of the nailer can make enough difference. Overdo it and you'll end up with the brads being punched deeper into the wood leaving a dent. It also depends on how hard the wood is. Ply often needs more force than softwood, for instance.

James

I've found that just resting my hand on the top of the nailer can make enough difference. Overdo it and you'll end up with the brads being punched deeper into the wood leaving a dent. It also depends on how hard the wood is. Ply often needs more force than softwood, for instance.

James
Think I've got the the hang of it after the first 50 or so. Using a queen marking pen to mark a clearer centre point at the business end helped improve my aim, and you get a feeling for the pressure to apply

Latest posts

Back