Wood burning stove for garage

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Beesnaturally apologies I did not meant to challenge you on your choice to install the log burner in the shed. 'Jedum das sein' (German - ' to each their own' ) I recently installed a couple multistoves in the house so spent some time understanding the recent HETAS and building regulations. The log burner is an active stove that can easily get to 500f and should be treated with respect. Luckily there is very few accidents in the UK with the carbon dioxide poisoning and log burner fires, but all of these could have been avoided if some basic health and safety and regulations were followed. Correct distance to the combustibles and smoke/monoxide alarms are little investments that can save your live.

What is the purpose of the log burner in the shed? If there is a lot of draft, I assume the installation will be very poor, so it will be expensive to heat with the wood, so multistove maybe a better option

Having a hot stove which you can stand or work near or even just warm your hands is fine for what I perceive as the OPs intention. It sounds as though a simple workers comfort is becoming dramatically over exaggerated.
As a youth we used to cut the top out of a 5 gallon oil drum, punch a few holes in the bottom, stand it on three bricks and light a wood fire in it. Once the fire got going we would top up the drum with coke and before long the sides would be glowing red hot so we enjoyed the radiant heat from a few feet away. Using coke invariably meant there were sulphur dioxide fumes if the workplace was short of a decent hole in the roof. It was crude but highly effective. The drums normally lasted for one winter before corrosion/oxidation made them unusable. Having a flue pipe with a good "draw" and a reasonably thick steel/cast iron stove body will likely provide all the warmth needed and despite the HSE warnings it's possible to have enough working brain cells to know not to touch hot things. Someone mentioned modified gas bottle stoves already. I've seen some quite elegant stoves made using these but the gas company probably own the bottle and they can get quite funny about losing bottles.

Latest posts

Back