Wally Shaw leaflets

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Interesting little books and nicely explained content. Thanks for sharing - helped me understand a supercedure going on in one of my hives right now.

Interesting little books and nicely explained content. Thanks for sharing - helped me understand a supercedure going on in one of my hives right now.
Certainly enlightening as to wherefrom the parochial views some own spring from.
If just one thing has stood myself in solid outcomes it is to be always sceptical
of definitive statements made in preambles, as they are then the framework the
'Wisdom' is built around.
This from Wally's intro to swarm issues...
Most beekeeper’s primary interest is just one aspect of this
behaviour, namely the collection of nectar and the storage of
honey. In order to produce the maximum amount of harvestable
honey, the beekeeper seeks to create large colonies but also to
prevent them from achieving their natural destiny through
swarming.

... I strongly disagree with, and have proved to the Bank's satisfaction to be wholly
erroneous.

Still... like the content of that document, such is held in many a corner as "husbandry".

Bill

Certainly enlightening as to wherefrom the parochial views some own spring from.
If just one thing has stood myself in solid outcomes it is to be always sceptical
of definitive statements made in preambles, as they are then the framework the
'Wisdom' is built around.
This from Wally's intro to swarm issues...
honey. In order to produce the maximum amount of harvestable
honey, the beekeeper seeks to create large colonies but also to
prevent them from achieving their natural destiny through
swarming.

... I strongly disagree with, and have proved to the Bank's satisfaction to be wholly
erroneous.

Still... like the content of that document, such is held in many a corner as "husbandry".

Bill
I am sure there are more credible living and past beekeepers who would agree with Wally than with yourself, regardless of the 'banks' satisfaction whoever that is.

Bearing in mind you said on another thread:

Beekeeping topics are easily
fact checked through many avenues today.

Where is the fact checking documentation/papers on your much extolled queen-restrictor? I'd be interested to read them to make a comparison to the well accepted swarming control methods Wally describes.

Cheers

@maz0

All of your comment reads to me as you assuming I am saying
I disagree with all of Mr. SHAW's work, when in fact my post clearly
states I disagree with the premise put to the whole of the work -
beekeeping is about honey (paraphrased).
There is much more to beekeeping then a focus on honey.
There should be no need for myself to point such out, amongst
beekeepers.

Bill

@maz0

All of your comment reads to me as you assuming I am saying
I disagree with all of Mr. SHAW's work, when in fact my post clearly
states I disagree with the premise put to the whole of the work -
beekeeping is about honey (paraphrased).
There is much more to beekeeping then a focus on honey.
There should be no need for myself to point such out, amongst
beekeepers.

Bill
Well in his defence hes not saying 'your primary interest should be'.....to quote
honey.

to be fair most beekeepers are....I wonder how many would still be doing all of this without a honey crop reward for their trouble.

Well in his defence hes not saying 'your primary interest should be'.....to quote
honey.

to be fair most beekeepers are....I wonder how many would still be doing all of this without a honey crop reward for their trouble.

Precisely my point, the document is compiled around what the author believes,
just as you now reinforce with your belief. Regardless of any number crunching
around statistics nobody can take Mr. Shaw's work as any gospel when his belief
denys other arms of b'keeping and so is only his view on his focus, not inclusive.

No doubt it happens in the British Isles also as it does here with thousands of
boxes deployed each year on pollination jobs - and a free clue..?.. there is way
more return on investment (time and capital) around pollinatipn then ever will
be the case chasing honey crops. Take that to the Bank.

Thanks for your feedback.

Bill

Precisely my point, the document is compiled around what the author believes,
just as you now reinforce with your belief. Regardless of any number crunching
around statistics nobody can take Mr. Shaw's work as any gospel when his belief
denys other arms of b'keeping and so is only his view on his focus, not inclusive.

No doubt it happens in the British Isles also as it does here with thousands of
boxes deployed each year on pollination jobs - and a free clue..?.. there is way
more return on investment (time and capital) around pollinatipn then ever will
be the case chasing honey crops. Take that to the Bank.

Thanks for your feedback.

Bill
Is/was this your own interests in beekeeping, pollination services? Would maybe explain why you are often at odds with typical beekeeping practises here and the source of your own different approaches...

Is/was this your own interests in beekeeping, pollination services? Would maybe explain why you are often at odds with typical beekeeping practises here and the source of your own different approaches...

:iagree: Wally Shaw's comments are for hobby beekeepers. Pollination services are organised by the BFA for Bee Farmers. Hobby beekeepers do no make money, it may grow on trees in the form of nectar, but that is it, a hobby with static apiaries.

:iagree: Wally Shaw's comments are for hobby beekeepers. Pollination services are organised by the BFA for Bee Farmers. Hobby beekeepers do no make money, it may grow on trees in the form of nectar, but that is it, a hobby with static apiaries.

More specifically, Wally wrote them for the wbka/abka
Can't speak for the whole of Wales , but you won't be satisfying any bank with the pollination contracts to be found in this part of the country.

His unwarranted attack on an internationally renowned and respected beekeeper AND scientist rather sums up his motives for joining this forum really

Thankyou for that refreshingly frank and likely most accurate input in respect
of Mr. SHAW's works.

Bill

Back