Thornes' Nasanov Swarm Lure

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Codford

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I was in the process of stocking up odds and ends for the coming season when this caught my eye. Has anybody tried the stuff - and if so, how did you get on? I usually do quite well with old brood comb with a touch of lemongrass oil, but figure it might be worth a punt. Thoughts anyone? Many thanks.

From a little personal experience adding a lure to old comb works and that can be lemon grass or the expensive lures. But I wouldn’t not put the bait hive up if I didn’t have any! If you are setting up the bait hive in your own apiary I found the addition of a lure will attract more of your own swarms that have a tendency to want to put some distance between themselves and home.
Also placing the bait hive in a sunny spot so the oils/comb cook up, again personally there’s an improvement in effectiveness.
I’ve loved putting up bait hives over the years and started as a kid just loving the idea of free bees.

For me it's no comb just foundationless frames with wooden starter strips rubbed with propolis wax scrapings (Id prefer a colony of bees more than moths)One blob of lemongrass oil on one of the lugs.South facing but not exposed to sunlight all day.
Works a treat.

I've caught swarms with and without a Nasanov lure but I can't recall whether the boxes with it in were selected before those without I'm afraid.

If youre getting results without I'd save the expenense. I'd guess that location and suitability of their new home plays a bigger role.

Latest posts

Back