The danger of bee stings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremyfro

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Beehaus
Number of Hives
Possibly...5 and a bit...depends on the bees.
I have been rummaging around through the stickies on the forum.....there is loads of good advice there on many subjects.
I read one about...'a sobering experience'
It was about a beekeeper who dropped some wild comb in his foot....he wasn't wearing boots as he wasn't expecting to be dealing with bees that day. The story was quite horrifying and indeed a very sobering tale.
I realised that all spring I have been around my hives...peeking under the roof through the clear plastic at the bees. I hadn't thought that the action could be considered ...invasive....I haven't worn protection unless we have been adding fondant...when we do cover up. Although my OH doesn't wear gloves! I always do.
So perhaps a timely reminder to us all before our first inspections this year....that bees can and do kill...none of us know when we will have a reaction.
Reading the sticky really did make me think about safety precautions...having a mobile, not going to the bees on your own, access to where you keep your bees and always wearing full protection...even on a hot day.

you've just made me think of an off-the-wall image of a beekeeper on a very hot day:

standing with each foot in a bucket of water!
You'd have to tie the bucket handles to each knee if you wanted to move around the apiary - but it would be nice and cool :cool:

Which makes me think of another off-the wall idea.
How about a shower hat? I mean a hat that has a shower spray all around the rim, the water will keep the bees off, and you cool in the sunshine.

It's been a long winter in the shed... need to get out more :rolleyes:

I Know I am suffering from frame making! Sore bruised fingers from missing the nailhead with the hammer....but I have filled 3 supers and 3 brood boxes. I have bought as many Beebits plastic frames as I could afford.....they are fab...come apart for cleaning.....and easy to clean. I scraped off the wax and put them through the dishwasher.....I did it whilst OH was away...so hope he never notices if there is wax on the plates! I got some lovely cut comb from them last year. I used wax strips...but probably didn't need to as they were happy to build on them.

I scraped off the wax and put them through the dishwasher.....I did it whilst OH was away...so hope he never notices if there is wax on the plates!

I'd be more concerned about him having to put his hand in his pocket for a new dishwasher in the near future - the current one having thrown its hand in due to its insides being gunked up with solidified wax.:nono:

What is it with women and dishwashers? :hairpull:

Shhhhh...don't tell...he IS a bit precious about the DW and the washing machine and tumble dryer!!!.....however...since he cleaned his new bridle that I had bought for his horse...with a pressure washer!!!! And turned it into chamois leather......a short reminder is all it takes...ha ha
I was especially careful to get the wax off prior and had it on the coolest setting.
He will never know!...they are back in the hive now...out of sight.

Latest posts

Back