Self fertile

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I understand it, self fertile still requires pollination it's just that they can be pollinated with pollen from other flowers on the same plant/plants of the same variety, rather than requiring other plants of the same species that are genetically dissimilar. As such they should still produce nectar to attract pollinators.

As I understand it, self fertile still requires pollination it's just that they can be pollinated with pollen from other flowers on the same plant/plants of the same variety, rather than requiring other plants of the same species that are genetically dissimilar. As such they should still produce nectar to attract pollinators.

I think that's generally the case, but not always. As far as I'm aware many (though not all) tomatoes are self-fertile and have the anthers fused together over the stigma so there's no access to pollen for insects and I'm not sure they produce much that's useful in the way of nectar as a result. I only found this out quite recently. The positive side to this is that you can grow different varieties of such tomatoes right next to each other and they won't cross pollinate, so the seed from the fruits should come true.

James

Back