"Sawdust-like" debris - 'Pollen mites' ??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi all, a couple of years ago, I started to notice what looked like sawdust, beneath boxes of brood frames stored over winter. I initially thought it was the result of some mite/insect working on the frames; but it's evident that the woodwork is fine; indeed, apart from some ragged edges to the cells, so is the comb. It seems likely be the remnants of comb content, and I then went on a web hunt (including on this forum) for something I guessed might be a pollen mite.

Is this what this is ?

PXL_20230507_163524238.jpg

It's been particularly bad this year. I presume that, whatever it is, it's probably benign? Any more information gratefully received. Thanks 👍

I take it there is no concern with lots of pollen mite in/on the overwintered comb? Is it something that is managed/eradicated in an occupied hive? I'd be keen to know more about it's lifecycle. Also, it can't eat a whole lot of the pollen, given that most of it appears to be pulverised. There was a historical post on this forum which suggested it actually feeds on fungus related to the pollen.

Latest posts

Back