Quick questions quick answers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TBH I don't look at the type of tree just the dryness of the decayed wood. What I look for is the crumbliness of it. The easier it falls apart without going to dust is what I am after. Also I use a cheap blowtorch to ignite it.

Just remember to put a stopper in the nozzle of your smoker, EVERYTIME so it becomes automatic. There are a few people around whose insurance companies are rather annoyed with them for igniting their vehicles. I find the cork from a port bottle works very well. And if I happen to accidentally lose it well it's a good excuse....

PH

'You pay for smoker fuel'

Yes, cos I cannot get stuff to stay alight, and prob only used a smoker 3 times in a year so not expensive.. this stuff smokes++! Other stuff keeps going out and my temper is hotter!

Dry rotten silver birch is good. Pity about the insects in it..

Fewer insects and drier birch if it's selected from wood above ground level; by the time it's really dry and ready for burning, any insects will have left, so best collected well in advance of need.

Assume it’s May/June in an average healthy hive, what percentage proportion of workers are active foragers?

[Marks deducted for all answers that contain the phrase “it depends” or variations thereof].

Assume it’s May/June in an average healthy hive, what percentage proportion of workers are active foragers?

[Marks deducted for all answers that contain the phrase “it depends” or variations thereof].

Workforce that is actively foraging will adapt to the availability of forage:winner1st:

Yeghes da

In the midst of building my warming cabinet, finished the outer box today.

I noticed the one Thrones sell states "Do not seal outside of cabinet with paint or vanish."

Anyone know why as I was going to coat mine with something?

In the midst of building my warming cabinet, finished the outer box today.

I noticed the one Thrones sell states "Do not seal outside of cabinet with paint or vanish."

Anyone know why as I was going to coat mine with something?

Why not just ask them - at a guess it might be to do with gases given off at various temperatures potential tainting honey/ being toxic/ being flammable .

Sounds like an examination question to me. My answer would be 2/3 house bees 1/3 foragers but only 1/4 of those foragers are active at any one time. Pls correct me if wrong.

Latest posts

Back