Nicot cage - how long should Queeny be in there?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FortunaHill

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi all
How long do you leave the queen in the Nicot cage? I've popped her in yesterday and I've been told four days but different people have since told me different things.

Also, how old should the larvae be when we remove them from the cage? Again I'm getting different info. Some say when they're exactly four days old, others say any time but no later than four days old 🤷‍♂️

Thanks!

Hi all
How long do you leave the queen in the Nicot cage? I've popped her in yesterday and I've been told four days but different people have since told me different things.

Also, how old should the larvae be when we remove them from the cage? Again I'm getting different info. Some say when they're exactly four days old, others say any time but no later than four days old 🤷‍♂️

Thanks!

Approx 12 hours will normally suffice for Q to fufill duty. A 12 hr old larva for transfer to nursery is noted as good practice in grafting. Older will suffice and bees will select up to 48hr where necessary but Q quality may suffer.

Approx 12 hours will normally suffice for Q to fufill duty. A 12 hr old larva for transfer to nursery is noted as good practice in grafting. Older will suffice and bees will select up to 48hr where necessary but Q quality may suffer.
After 4 days, she didn't want to leave 😂

Latest posts

Back