New development on the Barkston Ash Beekeepers Association website

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilberdyke John

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I've just had an email to say the association website shop is now open. BABKA members can buy 1lb honey jars with lids, premium foundation and plastic honey buckets at advantageous prices.

Go on then... tell us how many honey jars, or foundation sheets, or plastic buckets we need to buy to justify joining the BABKA.

I'm considering offering a jars and lids bulk purchase scheme

Obviously costs go up if there isn't a central location for collection in each locality

Having spoken with another forum member face to face last week he quite rightly pointed out his own challenges when he ran a similar scheme and offered home delivery

Orders as low as 20 jars
People out when delivering (payment needed)
People refusing to pay (can you believe ?!)

So not only would collection be needed but COD or payment in advance more likely
And a minimum order of 72 jars !

HOWEVER

Before anyone/everyone starts nay-saying and criticising the idea, based on bulk the jar and lid costs for everyone will come down significantly

A few years ago (in fact I think it was 5) I suggested a summer event for members of the forum to come to, like a weekend of Beekeeping, camping, BBQ etc and the initial response was like warm but if this could be got off the ground then we could supply the jars for collection there so we all have enough for our bountiful summer crops !!

Thoughts ?

KR

Somerford

I'm considering offering a jars and lids bulk purchase scheme

Hate to rain on your parade ... but, I was involved in a bulk purchase scheme (not beekeeping stuff I would add) ...everyone thought it was a great idea ... loads of advance orders ... great prices (I just passed on the discounts) then.. the stuff arrived ...

People wanted to draw smaller parts of their orders.
Some decided they did not need what they ordered.
Some wanted it hand delivered.
Some had 'no cash in the house' will bring it next week - never did.
Phone calls day and night about quality, price, packaging, breakage, you name it.. . people complained about it.

All this and me doing this on a not for profit basis and footing the bill in advance. I ended up out of pocket, storing stuff I didn't need and a very jaded view of people that I previously thought of as genuine and upstanding ...

Good luck:

My advice:

Payment with order not COD/Delivery.
Set time/date for collection - miss it and the order goes in the skip.
No refunds.
No changes to orders.
Dedicated mobile phone for communication (you can then ignore it).

It sounds harsh but my experience left me feeling Never Again ... and I know a number of other people who have gone down a similar route with identical experiences.

Goodness only knows - any club treasurer will tell you how difficult it is collect subs every year.

Hate to rain on your parade ... but, I was involved in a bulk purchase scheme (not beekeeping stuff I would add) ...everyone thought it was a great idea ... loads of advance orders ... great prices (I just passed on the discounts) then.. the stuff arrived ...

People wanted to draw smaller parts of their orders.
Some decided they did not need what they ordered.
Some wanted it hand delivered.
Some had 'no cash in the house' will bring it next week - never did.
Phone calls day and night about quality, price, packaging, breakage, you name it.. . people complained about it.

All this and me doing this on a not for profit basis and footing the bill in advance. I ended up out of pocket, storing stuff I didn't need and a very jaded view of people that I previously thought of as genuine and upstanding ...

Good luck:

My advice:

Payment with order not COD/Delivery.
Set time/date for collection - miss it and the order goes in the skip.
No refunds.
No changes to orders.
Dedicated mobile phone for communication (you can then ignore it).

It sounds harsh but my experience left me feeling Never Again ... and I know a number of other people who have gone down a similar route with identical experiences.

Goodness only knows - any club treasurer will tell you how difficult it is collect subs every year.

I know the feeling on all points. some spoil it for the rest.

My association bulk buys
jars ,foundation ,boxes and frames along with other odds and ends from a variety of suppliers purchased everytime there is a sale

Small shop open for two hours each week
Very well supported by members

My association bulk buys

And your association is ...? Follows on in the same vein as my previous post, really....

Claro bees (Harrogate and Ripon BBKA) do bulk buying of all sorts of beekeeping equipment and pass the discounts to their own and other BBKA members. Only open Saturday morning and worked by volunteers. With an excellent comprehensive lending library of bee books in the adjacent portacabin.
Actign as a shop (non profit) non of the problems that have been raised by others really apply. You can order in advance so stuff is ready and waiting and no big deal if you don't turn up and pay items just go back into stock until sold.
Very poular it is,,, you need to get their early to avoid the crowds :)
http://www.hrbka.org.uk/shop/claro-bees.html

Latest posts

Back