Moody bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Itchy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lost count and can't keep up
I have a colony that in the summer was very aggressive (2013 swarm)
I took a split from it, and the split generated a new queen.....this colony is gentle and easy to work with. Can anyone explain this? I'd have thought they too would be stingy

I took a split from it, and the split generated a new queen.....this colony is gentle and easy to work with. Can anyone explain this? I'd have thought they too would be stingy

Different genes - the new queen mated with drones from a gentler stock than the last mob.

It may be you. And you might have changed the way you work.

Jerky movements aggravate our bees, so being nervous and hurried because of fear of being stung can be self fulfilling.
Our procedure is to crack the crown board roof
Wait 5 to 10 seconds then lift the board.
Immediate cover with sheets of black correx. Remove only enough to do the task
During the manipulation keep your movements fluid and smooth not jerky. You can be quick but keep the accelerations down.

It works here...with these bees.

It could be they don't like your body odour. (seriously).

My home bees are very tolerant and hardly sting me. Our Association apiary bees - more feisty to all - make a beeline for my wrists and sting me. Not anyone else but me. I find various applications of Olbas oil make a difference.

(I try to keep gloveless and have hairy arms - so perhaps the Association bees think my arms look and smell like a bear?)

Hi Itchy,
Think back - were they aggressive all summer or only part of it? My colonies were very placid in spring build up phase. Got gradually more aggressive the larger they got and the more honey they had to protect. That's my theory anyhow - with my bees I hasten to add.

Hi Itchy,
Think back - were they aggressive all summer or only part of it? My colonies were very placid in spring build up phase. Got gradually more aggressive the larger they got and the more honey they had to protect. That's my theory anyhow - with my bees I hasten to add.

They were tetchy all the way through, much worse than any others.

You need to study Mendelian genetics to get a complete answer itchy.

When a female egg is produced the mother's genes are "mixed up" - known as crossing over. Additionally, genes from the father are incorporated into the egg, and as others say, these could be from any of the 10- 15 drones the original queen has mated with.
Add into the mix dominant and recessive genes and you have a lot of variation.

Perhaps one of the master bk's, vets, etc who are far more qualified than me might explain further.

From my experience the original hive will remain aggressive as long as the current queen is in residence. Changing the queen is the answer.

Colonies are generally more aggressive later in the summer when they are both larger and have honey to defend. Using entrance blocks to minimise robbing is supposed to help but I have never seen it make any difference to aggression levels (although it does help with robbing).

I took a split from it, and the split generated a new queen.....this colony is gentle and easy to work with.
Although I agree there could be many factors (BO, perfume, protecting stores) read the above - the new queen is much gentler than the old queen, maybe I should have asked where the original was mated, but as it was a swarm 'who knows' would probably be the answer! so how far away was the swarm caught? But my money would still be on the new queen has mated with a different batch of drones from a less agressive queen/colony. I have two queens at home, same mother but mated fifteen miles apart and there is a marked difference in temperament.

I've had exactly the same thing. My gentlest colony (and therefore in the priviledged position of being in my garden) are an AS from my most aggressive; and I've had pretty much the reverse in the past.

How anyone can breed an open-mated 'strain' with predictable characteristics, heaven only knows.

It may be you. And you might have changed the way you work.
Jerky movements aggravate our bees, so being nervous and hurried because of fear of being stung can be self fulfilling.
Our procedure is .......................................................................................During the manipulation keep your movements fluid and smooth not jerky. You can be quick but keep the accelerations down.

It works here...with these bees.
:icon_204-2:
Hogwash!

Good or bad moods can be derived from many different influences and no matter how "Smooth" your movements are, if they are pissed off for any reason then that's just the way it is.
A few years ago we spread horse manure on the garden and they ALL went wild for a day!
Defensive colonies are just that, DEFENSIVE!
Kill the queen 1st thing in the spring, (as soon as the less aggressive colony starts to build up its brood). Introduce a frame with eggs from the benign Queen and see what you get.
However, some defensive-aggression is needed, my three most placid colonies were been wiped out in as many years by wasps!:hairpull:

Have to agree with Derek, smooth movements seem to make for a nicer handling experience.
Horse manure...interesting, there is a 30m pile of it near all hives....I'll put on my suit and get the tractor out in then summer, should be interesting!

Have to agree with Derek, smooth movements seem to make for a nicer handling experience.

Yes of course miss-handling will upset them.
However, my point is that, if they are already (for any reason) pre disposed to defend/attack then that is exactly what they will do!

Hogwash!

Good or bad moods can be derived from many different influences and no matter how "Smooth" your movements are, if they are pissed off for any reason then that's just the way it is.

Yes, 'moods' can come from lots of different causes -- BUT -- rough handling is definitely one of them.
Moving as though underwater (slow and smooth) will stir them up less than bashing them about.

Similarly, using an "inspection cloth" (with an opening only the size of a couple of frames) will minimise the 'assistance' you get from bees coming out to help you.

And it is always worth remembering that old stings in gloves and suit will set them off the next time you go back to the hive - so keep the suit clean and use clean gloves!

Body odours that bees object to aren't only limited to 'bad' smells - some 'nice' smelling things wind them up as well - so consider changing your products if bees are singling you out.

But if one colony is worse than others, be sure to cull its drones (varroa control, y'know) until you can requeen them.

mmmmm

A lot of people seem to do so these days! :puke:

Now that they're going to abolish 1st class, I thank the lord I don't have to rely on public transport!
:ohthedrama:

I try to only use gloves if they're in a bad mood, then a blast of smoke on the stung area of glove should dispel the scent of the sting.

Unscented soaps are available too!,
http://www.blossomtreesoap.co.uk

Smoking the area will partially mask it, briefly: but is no substitute for a darned good wash before the next hive.

Hogwash!

A few years ago we spread horse manure on the garden and they ALL went wild for a day!
Defensive colonies are just that, DEFENSIVE!
Kill the queen 1st thing in the spring, (as soon as the less aggressive colony starts to build up its brood). Introduce a frame with eggs from the benign Queen and see what you get.
However, some defensive-aggression is needed, my three most placid colonies were been wiped out in as many years by wasps!:hairpull:

read the words ... i didnt say it calmed them i said what avoided beek induced agro... smooth movements reduce the aggro of going in.
And definitely going in on warm days in bright sunshine., but keeping them dark (that last bit sounds daft but its true, have to work out the causality later)

Hi all,
If there are bad kids blame the parents, if there are aggressive bees blame the beekeeper seems to be the order of the day. What I find interesting is that there is an apiary not a million miles from me where apparently they inspect without any protective clothing at all. First sign of trouble though queenie goes. They don't seem to take on the blame, so neither shall I.

Back