how can I reduce water content post extraction?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was a tip I was given by an experienced exhibitor - draw your show honey from the bottom of the tank as it's "denser" (sorry if that's the wrong word, still can't get my head around the difference between viscosity and density).

Good tip. I found that some of the honey at the top of containers looked different and I spooned it off and used it in cooking (rhubarb crumble most recently). I have had less jars ferment since doing this.

That was a tip I was given by an experienced exhibitor - draw your show honey from the bottom of the tank as it's "denser" (sorry if that's the wrong word, still can't get my head around the difference between viscosity and density).

viscosity and density? think oil and water ... oil is more viscous than water and yet less than water.

density depends on the atomic composition and stacking of the molecules, whereas viscosity is about how resistant the molecules are to move past each other.

Uncapped Frames

Hi
I need some advice please, I have just taken off the honey frames a few are capped on one side only the other completely covered in nectar.
I’m in Provence no rain temperature 34*C in shade

Last edited:
Hi
I need some advice please, I have just taken off the honey frames a few are capped on one side only the other completely covered in nectar.

Give it back to the bees and come back later to harvest it once the combs are capped. A small arch of uncapped honey on a comb is ok.

Hi

Test the water content, I had uncapped frames barely registering 16% earlier this year.

Test the water content, I had uncapped frames barely registering 16% earlier this year.

Couldn't agree more. Get a honey refractometer and test water content. And beware in, very busy periods of flow it can get capped whilst still over the legal water limit. I had some mainly capped OSR frames at the start of the dry season....which when extracted showed 22% water....Also had capped heather at 25% a few years back.

Latest posts

Back