Honey beer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why bother making it. Had a bottle of 'honey dew' made by fullers, very nice, brewed with honey. They have done all the hard work for you
E

I have seen the honey vodka, basically quarter bottle of honey the rest vodka. No idea what it's like though?

Search 'braggot' .

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I've made both honey beer (predominantly malt with some honey, hopped) and braggot. Honey beer was nice, hard to taste the honey though so not sure it was worth it over just beer. I prefer to make mead or cyser (carton of supermarket apple juice work well) with my cappings now.

Why bother making it. Had a bottle of 'honey dew' made by fullers, very nice, brewed with honey. They have done all the hard work for you
E

By the same logic why bother keeping bees when you can buy great honey at £6 a jar!?

I have experimented with some 1gal batches of Braggot - honey beer - this year.

I brew all-grain beer already so I made a batch of proven strong ale wort and then mixed it at two ratios with a mead must before fermenting the whole in demijohns.

Just gone into the bottles for secondary fermentation so I’m tell you what it’s like in a couple of months. Of course I had a little taste and it’s quite promising!

bdb822cf66162c929a9ce7bb0af6f02b.jpg

I've just bottled my first honey beer, so can't really tell yet, but am wondering if you need to leave some sweetness in the beer, as honey to us is essentially sweet. Once that has fermented out, it doesn't taste very much like honey to me any more, despite my having put quite a lot of honey in it.

I think you’re right, although it’s a careful balance because sweet beer can be cloying. Yes honey ferments out to pretty much complete dryness (so long as the yeast survives the alcohol content) and just leaves flavour compounds.

My ale ‘backbone’ is basically an Old Speckled Hen clone so it has some residual sweetness from the complex sugars in the malt. So e.g. the ‘imperial’ braggot had fermented out to 1004 (from an OG of 1078!) and still tasted slightly sweet. Might end up just about right balanced against the hops when carbonated, aged, cellar!temp.

I think you’re right, although it’s a careful balance because sweet beer can be cloying. Yes honey ferments out to pretty much complete dryness (so long as the yeast survives the alcohol content) and just leaves flavour compounds.

My ale ‘backbone’ is basically an Old Speckled Hen clone so it has some residual sweetness from the complex sugars in the malt. So e.g. the ‘imperial’ braggot had fermented out to 1004 (from an OG of 1078!) and still tasted slightly sweet. Might end up just about right balanced against the hops when carbonated, aged, cellar!temp.

Dark Winter Ales have a sweet note so perhaps looking up one those to modify for honey?

I must admit to being partial to Marstons "Owd Roger" mixed with Pedigree from the same brewer.

Back