hive in a garden and BBQ parties

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well. That's the bees sorted. What are you going to do to pacify the neighbours? :D
:ROFLMAO: and therein lies the biggest problem of all, maybe the bribing with free honey, and invite them to the barby for free food and beer.

to be fair, there does seem to be a lot of barriers to placing a hive in the garden, few weeks to think about it.

:ROFLMAO: and therein lies the biggest problem of all, maybe the bribing with free honey, and invite them to the barby for free food and beer.

to be fair, there does seem to be a lot of barriers to placing a hive in the garden, few weeks to think about it.
I have several neighbours and this works really well for me. Bees fly up and out. Apiary is right by my greenhouse and they rarely bother me. I’ve not had a feisty colony yet…..

Attachments

• AFB6EA85-C470-4D79-A984-6845CF6C6F2A.jpeg
    AFB6EA85-C470-4D79-A984-6845CF6C6F2A.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 0
I have several neighbours and this works really well for me. Bees fly up and out. Apiary is right by my greenhouse and they rarely bother me. I’ve not had a feisty colony yet…..
I presume there's mesh that we can't see in the higher panels.
I installed 3' of mesh above my fence (neighbours are just the other side) which made any bees fly higher.
That said my neighbours (big gardeners) were fantastically accepting when I had a nasty hive and they both got a sting! The apology and bottle of wine, and offer of antihistamine cream (hadn't extracted yet) may have helped!
Requeened them back to docility - if my neighbours hadn't been so understanding I'd have euthanased them!

I presume there's mesh that we can't see in the higher panels.
I installed 3' of mesh above my fence (neighbours are just the other side) which made any bees fly higher.
That said my neighbours (big gardeners) were fantastically accepting when I had a nasty hive and they both got a sting! The apology and bottle of wine, and offer of antihistamine cream (hadn't extracted yet) may have helped!
Requeened them back to docility - if my neighbours hadn't been so understanding I'd have euthanased them!
Sorry, not the best photo - 6 foot mesh all round. I have six neighbours! No complaints yet even when one hive swarmed into one of the gardens.

Drink in wit out. First problem.

Why insert an avoidable issue into the situation? Take the worst case scenario and they go ballistic, people getting stung multiple times and someone going into anaphylactic shock. In calm hindsight would you think you had been sensible or selfish? Given your training I find it hard to believe you are even considering this.

Over many years now I have read the oh they are no bother in the garden ever, to the I had to destroy them as they were so bad... and I can honestly say the bad far out weighs the good. I am reaching back some 25 years of forums and groups when I say this.

Personally, it's not something I would do. I tried it once in a very quiet garden and it still went pear shaped and I was very lucky to get off as lightly as I did.

Your choice but have a deep think here.

PH

Why insert an avoidable issue into the situation? Take the worst case scenario and they go ballistic, people getting stung multiple times and someone going into anaphylactic shock. In calm hindsight would you think you had been sensible or selfish? Given your training I find it hard to believe you are even considering this.

Personally, it's not something I would do. I tried it once in a very quiet garden and it still went pear shaped and I was very lucky to get off as lightly as I did.

I feel like I've been in to the headmasters office here and given I right good telling off :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: , I did write earlier that there does seem more negatives than positives to placing hives in gardens. this thread was to try and get the general consensus, through the experiences of others.

as you well know, forums are a haven of conflicting information and advice, we should read and make our own decision whether right or wrong. one persons wrong is another persons meh! get on with it

TBF I am in the possibly enviable position of having a number of options to placing hives.
I do get your point tho.(y)

Drink in wit out. First problem.

Over many years now I have read the oh they are no bother in the garden ever, to the I had to destroy them as they were so bad... and I can honestly say the bad far out weighs the good. I am reaching back some 25 years of forums and groups when I say this.

PH
Maybe, like the news, more people report the bad than the good…

Just wondering whether you would have a problem with a ready source of suger,honey dressing ,beer ect attracting the bees.

Just wondering whether you would have a problem with a ready source of suger,honey dressing ,beer ect attracting the bees.

this is always a problem when having a gathering outside that has anything food and beer related, but yes I would have added 20k-60k extra visitors.

Latest posts

Back