Has anyone seen S-trap hive entrances?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ugcheleuce

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
7-10
Hello everyone

I've been thinking of making a hive with an S-trap entrance, hopefully to reduce the effect on wind blowing into the hive through the entrance hole. Has anyone seen such designs? One can get a bathroom basin PVC S-trap for very little at a hardware store. Here's what it might look like (viewed from the side):

1pb3hh.png

I know very little about ventilation and insulation, but I'm hoping that such an entrance would reduce drafts and thus help keep the hive somewhat warmer. Perhaps such an entrance would also benefit varroa control methods that work from the bottom upwards (so that the acid in the doesn't escape through the entrance hole so easily).

It would mean having a thicker bottom box (unless you incorporate it into a brood box, as the image above shows), but a bigger bottom box is not a deal breaker for me.

Your thoughts?

Samuel

it will all depend on the hive design. with an OMF you would reduce the wind blowing straight into the hive from the entrance. with a solid floor, you might create a chimney effect when the wind is blowing over the hole.

Hello everyone

I've been thinking of making a hive with an S-trap entrance, hopefully to reduce the effect on wind blowing into the hive through the entrance hole. Has anyone seen such designs? One can get a bathroom basin PVC S-trap for very little at a hardware store. Here's what it might look like (viewed from the side):

1pb3hh.png

I know very little about ventilation and insulation, but I'm hoping that such an entrance would reduce drafts and thus help keep the hive somewhat warmer. Perhaps such an entrance would also benefit varroa control methods that work from the bottom upwards (so that the acid in the doesn't escape through the entrance hole so easily).

It would mean having a thicker bottom box (unless you incorporate it into a brood box, as the image above shows), but a bigger bottom box is not a deal breaker for me.

Your thoughts?

Samuel

Or............you could fasten the clear plastic CD front cover over the entrance leaving a nice gap at each end like I do to help prevent robbing. You would need extra equipment like 2 drawing pins and a rubber band though.
Sorry, I am in a flippant mood again. Could be the medication! LOl
To be serious, I think the cd case would be better and cheaper and a whole lot easier. You wouldn't have to mod your hive at all and if you don't like the idea you can soon take it off and no harm done. It also keeps the rain out. (a bit like a car port! ) The floor is another matter.
Based on RAB's KISS principal.
Hope that is a help and saves you some time.
Regards Dave:)

Last edited:
I don't think that design will prevent wind, it'll just change what there is to flow round the bend. (constant diameter pipes are designed to assist flow)

an underfloor vertical entrance would be better to prevent wind blown rain, it will also be much better protection against robbers and mice.

various designs around,
I've built a couple based on this design.
http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=26994
My floor:
http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/album.php?albumid=669&pictureid=3443

Keeping to the plumbing theme,
If you really want to prevent air flow in and out of the hive, the best design is a T shape, with the stem of the T being the entrance.
outside air will then tend to flow across the 'top bar' of the T, the bees have to negotiate into the stem to gain access.
If the air flow splits between entering one side of the T and the stem, then the volume of air and so the air velocity will be considerably reduced.
That won't normally happen as the wind air flow will tend to just pass straight through the top tube.
Of course, you can put the T in any orientation, as long as the stem is the part giving access to the hive.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back