Glass jars in freezer?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
30+ colonies
If I jar my heather honey or chunk honey in 8oz hexagonal jars, is it safe enough to put them into the deep freeze at -21 degrees or is there a risk that the glass will crack with the sudden change of temperature? And could the lids begin to rust in the damp environment?

Generally I doubt there's really a sudden change in temperature as the heat is extracted from the air so the jar cools gradually and shouldn't break. Tip a flask of liquid nitrogen into a jar and you might get a rather different result.

The air in a freezer shouldn't be damp, either. Cold air doesn't hold so much moisture -- the ice that builds up on the freezer walls is water that condenses out of the air because it's so cold.

James

Generally I doubt there's really a sudden change in temperature as the heat is extracted from the air so the jar cools gradually and shouldn't break. Tip a flask of liquid nitrogen into a jar and you might get a rather different result.

The air in a freezer shouldn't be damp, either. Cold air doesn't hold so much moisture -- the ice that builds up on the freezer walls is water that condenses out of the air because it's so cold.

James
Thanks James. Give it a couple of weeks and we'll have the freezer full to the top. 😊

I don't think that freezing the jars will be a problem but don't label them until they warm up when you take them out. As regards lids you can always go plastic if you worry about rusting - they seem to be coming popular and really no more or less eco friendly than metal lids which have to be scrapped if there is a spot of rust which can happen even if just stored.

I don't think that freezing the jars will be a problem but don't label them until they warm up when you take them out. As regards lids you can always go plastic if you worry about rusting - they seem to be coming popular and really no more or less eco friendly than metal lids which have to be scrapped if there is a spot of rust which can happen even if just stored.
Had never thought about plastic lids. Must look into them.

Latest posts

Back