Failed Supercedure

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They could both be there
Interesting so if it was a supercedure the bees could be hedging there bets to see if the new queen is better than the old one before killing the old queen ?

Interesting so if it was a supercedure the bees could be hedging there bets to see if the new queen is better than the old one before killing the old queen ?
I've had a colony that overwintered with two queens, by June the following year I had three queens cohabiting before they finally sorted themselves out in the autumn

Evening Guys

A quick update on the original post. Got prepped to move a test frame from the Q+ hive.

Then a full inspection of believed failed supersedure hive, shaking off each frame. No queens cells found not even any evidence that they actually existed at all and a nice healthy black queen strutting her way around frame 6. No signs of brood, eye sight not so good to see eggs (forgot my magnifying glass!)

If she is a virgin, temps here have been around 18c so hopefully see will get mated by the other hives located in the area.

I had held off varroa treatment of this hive, so should I go ahead and if so apistan strips or Apiguard. Previously whilst beekeeping in the Scottish Highlands, I was lucky enough to live in one of the few remaining varroa free areas, so this is probably the area I lack the most experience.

Thanks for all your help, and your knowledge continually shared to all posts.

Have a good evening

Back