Ebay Extractor.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National Hives & 1 Observation Hive.(Indoors) & lots of empty boxes..
I'm sure that many of you saw this on ebay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321421003702?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

and dismissed it after looking at the pics and seeing the rust.

I contacted the seller and asked about the rust..

He said that the centre shaft had surface rust and the paint on the gear cover was flaking off, as can easliy be seen.... but that brown marks on the cage wasnt rust but some kind of brown gunge........
Anyway..decided it might be worth a bid and got it for £82. Only 25 miles away..Collected it last Friday, and as I guessed, the brown gunge was indeed propolis......Took a bit of soaking in soda to get it off... Dismantled the cage and shaft assembly... Cleaned the shaft back to bare metal and fitted a piece of plastic food grade water pipe over it, which compressed nicely against the frame holders when fitted back onto the shaft.
The bottom bearing is some kind of nylon material.
Dismantled the gearing, cleaned it and reassembled with food grade grease.

Filled the tub with water with a few Milton tablets.........rinsed it out for an hour in the garden and put it all back together.

It take 10 super frames,, Just a bit too small to take deep frames tho.

Might even use it today...
Pity if hasnt got a cover but I'm sure a couple of bit of ply will suffice.

Now...big problem.

Do I use it in the shed or the kitchen........:hairpull:

...Might even use it today...
Pity if hasnt got a cover but I'm sure a couple of bit of ply will suffice.
The basic problem with older extractors is that painted or galvanised metal is not "food grade". Stainless steel or certain plastics are the usual acceptable materials. What you use when the honey is for your own consumption is up to you, but you're on shaky ground if it's for sale.

The basic problem with older extractors is that painted or galvanised metal is not "food grade". Stainless steel or certain plastics are the usual acceptable materials. What you use when the honey is for your own consumption is up to you, but you're on shaky ground if it's for sale.

I wouldnt have touched it if it was galvanised...

The cage is powder coated and has cleaned up very well.

Back