Cleaning KIT

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Nicholson

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All - have a question that I hope someone can offer advice.
All my rapid feeders have been used to give the bees cappings to clean up post extraction and they achieved a good job but in the process have clogged up everything with wax and propolis.
I have cleaned most of it off and want to put the feeders into the dishwasher under a hot wash but the Boss says it will clog up the pipework and is standing her ground.
Anyone have any experience with this - I add that I do not drain to public sewer but to septic tank so if it is a problem it is mine alone.
Grateful for any comments.
Cheers
P.
ps not as good a year as last for honey - about half the quantity but the quality is great - down to 16% water content and great flavour. (still took 30 Kg off one hive)

Wax and propolis dissolve into alcohol. As we use on Finland 100% denatured alcohol in cars (Sinol) I do not know what product names you have there.

I bet that you marriage has bigger value than washing those things in the Empire of Women.

Last edited:
I have cleaned most of it off and want to put the feeders into the dishwasher under a hot wash but the Boss says .........

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:
:icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Sleeping in the bee shed yet???

Nos da

Surgical spirits. had a bit of a mess last week in the bosses domain after extraction and the stuff worked better than any domestic cleaning products

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem is if you wash with hot water and the wax melts, it will solidify why it cools - possibly in the dishwasher outlet pipes.

The good news is propolis would not be a problem.

Bad news is SWMBO is right!

CVB

I add that I do not drain to public sewer but to septic tank

That's even worse.
She is right :)
Just get copious kettles of hot water and wash the stuff into empty borders/ hedge. That's what I do

Definately don't do what I did- thought I would multi task processing wax whilst spinning out honey. Ended up knocking a pan of melted wax down the sink. Despite many kettles full of boiling water fooling me into thinking I'd got away with it and OH would never know the sink blocked the next day and overflowed into my cupboard below. OH had to mend it all. Involved dismantling all the pipes and lifting the manhole cover - there was even wax down there!
And I lost my wax :(

Thanks all for your comments. I bow to opinion and not sleeping in the shed yet. Just have to fess up to OH that she is right:rules:

You do not loose nothing, if you stop that capping wax honey recycling

Last edited:
Back