"Cities could be the key to saving pollinating insects"

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DulwichGnome

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
8 & 5 nucs all Rose
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14309007

"The University of Bristol study, which is taking place over the next three years, is part of the £10m Insect Pollinators Initiative, which is funded by the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council, the Natural Environment Research Council, Defra, The Wellcome Trust and the Scottish Government. "

I wonder if bee keepers will see any of this £10m?

Mike.

Another joke piece of journalism...

""Bees have suffered massive declines in numbers""

I really do wish all this crap would stop being banded around, I get asked about it all the time.

Chris

"Bees have suffered massive declines in numbers"

Can help if your trying to get an out apiary and they want to do 'their bit'.

Shock! Bees do well in cities with a wide variety of forage available. Less well in areas reliant on mono-culture. Well blow me, who'd have guessed!

Are they going to move us country folk to the cities to redress this imbalance - and if not what is the point of wasting good research money on discovering the bleeding obvious? How about throwing another few thou to check they are still doing the waggle dance?

Agree with Chris re the constant un-informed harping about the decline in bee numbers, reinforced by scaremongering from the BBKA (and I'm not normally anti BBKA either). :rant:

Can help if your trying to get an out apiary and they want to do 'their bit'.

The problem is that when there really is a problem or an issue NO ONE WILL BELIEVE IT on the basis of all the clap trap that they / we have been subjected to.

Be honest and tell the truth, too many bee keepers are also perpetuating this myth.

Chris

Well I don't mind the clap trap as I am one of those city beekeepers and it means that my neighbours etc are pleased that I am keeping them (well those that know) and like the feeling that they are being part of helping bees (by not complaining).

I also keep ducks and was very excited to read the recent research that showed that they like water. Really.

Back