Before you buy anything

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilberdyke John

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Visit a working apiary in a borrowed bee suit and find out if you cope with being surrounded with bees, especially around your veil.

Yeh to that, I for one am very willing to offer that experience!

Visit a working apiary in a borrowed bee suit and find out if you cope with being surrounded with bees, especially around your veil.

Agreed that its important to get among bees before entering significant financial commitments.

But "working" might be misunderstood.
Just hives, with bees, being opened and inspected.
No need commercially 'working'.
Being a "visitor" at a Beekeeping Association (club) summer season meeting would fit the bill admirably.
And generally, they are extremely welcoming to visitors.
But Summer. Bees are essentially shut away for the Winter.

:iagree: Whilst most people are okay being surrounded by bees there are the odd few that can't cope, so we made it mandatory that all our beginners coarse applicants attend one of our free taster sessions, regardless of whether they claimed to be okay or have bees already.
Had one guy claiming to be a solicitor complaining about the rule and reported us to the BBKA. Told him and them our coarse, so we set the rules of acceptance. Needless to say he wasn't invited to attend our coarse.

Agreed that its important to get among bees before entering significant financial commitments.

Being a "visitor" at a Beekeeping Association (club) summer season meeting would fit the bill admirably.

Working isn't necessarily a commercial term!
Radio hams "work" other radio hams .
The word is a synonym operating .
Please let's not begin nit picking before this section has even got under way !
This is the thing I feared and here's me joining in blush.
Vm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok lets clarify - the bees are "working" insofar as they are flying, its warm enough for hives to be safely (for the bees) opened for inspection, foraging flights, brood rearing and pollen gathering are taking place.
For the purposes of this assessment perhaps a "cranky" hive would sort out the men from the boys or women from girls to keep it gender neutral. :)

Ok lets clarify - the bees are "working" insofar as they are flying, its warm enough for hives to be safely (for the bees) opened for inspection, foraging flights, brood rearing and pollen gathering are taking place.

GJ - I agree with your sentiments wholeheartedly - BUT - you must remember that an absolute total beginner would have no idea how warm "warm enough" might be.

Which is why I simply said "Summer - not Winter". (Definitely not right now in November.)

Do contact your local group, and they will happily fill you in on all the details. They should have protective kit for visitors to wear.
All will be taken care of.
But they won't be able to get you in amongst thousands of bees (as we are all advising is a very good first step) until April at least.

So for now, read some good bee books*, read the forum and consider going on an association-run beginners course (these courses are usually run in Winter).

* Have a look at the forum area devoted to Books for some suggestions. http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Had 3 prospective beekeepers visit one of my apiaries in the summer as part of a BKA visit, they were shown round and watched hives being opened and had the finer details of what was going on inside described to them by a member. They all loved it and have all now signed up to be new members this year.

I will always let people that are thinking of being beekeepers have a look round if it helps them decide that they want to go futher with the hobby.

Trying different style suits is also a good idea, not everybody likes the astronaut type veil, and not everybody likes the round one.

Sounds like sensible advice. When i had bees last time round, i just booked a nuc and never looked back, until the bess were wiped out by, premably, varroa one winter. Trying again now.

From another thread- reminded me - bees don't like denim jeans and/or black.

AND dont eat a banana before opening a hive. Apparently asimilar to alarm pheromone.

very good suggestion, bees can be very intimidating

I think visiting an apiary and maybe even 'assisting' an experienced beek during an inspection is a must (doesn't really matter how - writing things down on the record sheet, if there is one, or holding the smoker, etc - anything is good to get into this stuff!) Unfortunately this does mean that starting on a whim at what is possibly the best time to start (i.e. during all the sales) is not necessarily a good idea. But do speak to a couple of people at your local association!

Another thing I personally found very useful is asking an experienced beek to pick up a bee and make it sting you in the arm (I did it twice). It is unfortunate for the bee, I know, but really useful for the person (irrespective of the result). Never mind the allergic reaction test, it's good to know first-hand how the stinger works over time, how to remove it, and whether you can stand the pain (personally, I couldn't stop smiling after removing the thing, - it didn't hurt nearly as much as I'd anticipated; a kind of liberation!). And if goes wrong in any way - better have any relevant advice sooner than later.

As per comments above: clothing, hair, food consumption, perfume, footwear, etc instructions are something you really ought to solicit before your visit. The person 'in charge' should be able to give you some basic instructions. It's not complicated at all, just ensures that you don't attract the bees to yourself too much, or annoy them before you get a chance to do anything. And if you happen to become a target, they won't find it easy to achieve retribution.

Kind regards,

Ana

Last edited:
i bet the bee had no smile on it's face....the day i do that ,that's the day i pack it in .

Latest posts

Back