Bees in my roof

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merlyn

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I did have a quick look around to see if there was anything which might help me but couldn't find anything so I thought I'd post my query in here. Hope this is okay.

First of all, I don't keep bees but I do encourage wild-life in my garden; I've had some kind of bees naturally set up home in an old wood pile before now and just left them to get on with doing what bees do.

However, I've noticed what I think are bees going back and forth under part of the guttering around my flat roof. On closer inspection it seems that they're going under the top felting or possibly into the boards of the flat roof.

I'm not sure what to do about this and would appreciate any help members can offer. I'm happy enough to leave them to being bees but is this advisable given the location? There are no signs inside the house that the bees are there.

Hopefully someone can help and thank you in advance.

Merlyn

The big question is what do they look like, knowing this will determine the outcome

Thanks for your reply.

Hmm, I don't have a photo. All I can say is that they're quite small. :blush5:

Is it possible to upload photos to this forum? I could try to take a clear photo of them.

It is possible but only after you have made a few more posts. It would be easier for you to identify positively what type of insect they are. Once we know that for certain we will be able to help.
Sorry but they could be one of several and all need dealing with in different ways!
E

Oh dear, yes of course, I'm assuming they are bees, but they could be something else.

If I can't get a photo online for the forum to have a look at is there another way of identifying these insects? Who would I need to contact to come and have a look at them?

Oh dear, yes of course, I'm assuming they are bees, but they could be something else.

If I can't get a photo online for the forum to have a look at is there another way of identifying these insects? Who would I need to contact to come and have a look at them?

For starters go online and Google the following then browse images.....

Honeybee uk
Bumblebee uk
Wasp uk
Hornet uk
Solitary bee uk

You may be able to identify the type of insect from the pictures. If you identify the type you can discuss options on this thread.

Only honeybees will remain there. All the rest will produce queens which will leave and hibernate over winter. The nest will then die out in early winter.

Where are you?

I work in Solihull, on mornings next week, could take a look for you (any afternoon Tuesday onwards if it's close enough)?

Is anyone any closer??

Last edited:
ry a link to photobox or something

I tried taking a photo tonight but didn't have much success.

For starters go online and Google the following then browse images.....

Honeybee uk
Bumblebee uk
Wasp uk
Hornet uk
Solitary bee uk

You may be able to identify the type of insect from the pictures. If you identify the type you can discuss options on this thread.

Only honeybees will remain there. All the rest will produce queens which will leave and hibernate over winter. The nest will then die out in early winter.

The honeybee and solitary bees look the closest matches to me. Since there are more than one of them, is the honeybee the likeliest?

Where are you?

I work in Solihull, on mornings next week, could take a look for you (any afternoon Tuesday onwards if it's close enough)?

Is anyone any closer??

Thank you. That's not too far from me and next Wednesday might be an option if need be. :)

I've been reading up a little on bees in structures and it seems to me that I need to have a definite id for mine.

Is your offer to come and identify them still open MartinL?

However, I've noticed what I think are bees going back and forth under part of the guttering around my flat roof. On closer inspection it seems that they're going under the top felting or possibly into the boards of the flat roof.
Some more questions.

If you stand there watching them, how many bees would you see in, say, five minutes?

Do they seem to be queueing to go through the hole, or do they seem to be coming and going one at a time?

Try browsing some youtube videos of bees, honey bees and solitary bees. They do behave differently and with luck you'll see something similar to what you have living in your roof.

are you not getting them come into the house, finding a few dead ones on window ledges ? you can id them from here...?????

Latest posts

Back