BBKA Spring Convention

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Beefriendly

I'm hearing stories from this spring convention (this weekend) that the authoritarian BBKA stewards prevented one of their guest speakers from entering another auditorium to hear another speaker because the talk had just started. Now I'm sure Dr. Budge was not recognized by them, but as he had freely given of his time to give a talk on Asian Hornets I do think it's pretty poor dibs that because his Q&A went on a\bit longer than anticipated he wasn't able to go and hear the only other talk he want to listen to. There are no honorariums for giving talks at BBKA conventions....nothing new there then!
Lots of too important authoritarian prats with fancy BBKA ties and blazers......If that had happened to me no way I would ever return....
I could tell you some other horror stories....all financially related and nothing to do with the BBKA...just local admin and elf and safety...... ...but best not on a public forum.
It all reminds of that classic ABBA song....Money money money......

I'm hearing stories from this spring convention (this weekend) that the authoritarian BBKA stewards prevented one of their guest speakers from entering another auditorium to hear another speaker because the talk had just started.

If that is what the rules are then surely there's not an issue.

Otherwise we might be hearing stories of people finding it hard to concentrate on the speaker due to people late arriving throughout.

If that is what the rules are then surely there's not an issue.

Otherwise we might be hearing stories of people finding it hard to concentrate on the speaker due to people late arriving throughout.

In my own University days... once a lecture started the doors were locked!
NO EXCEPTIONS!!!

Yeghes da

Apart from Fatshark locking them in :)....I used to do this but they would escape through the windows ....Then elf and safety banned the locked door as a fire hazard...although I never ever saw the door catch fire.

So nearly a first as it seems everyone agrees that the BBKA got it right by refusing to let one of their lecturers into another lecture because his Q&A session ran 3 minutes over his deadline.
I think it's harsh and stinks of jobsworth....
If I had paid money for entrance to the convention I would be furious.

I was a Steward but not for the lectures - maybe apply your derision to the rules rather than the volunteers who were following instructions. The majority of the punters are fine but there's always one or two clints who do the "do you know who I am?" thing.

I was late for a lecture, met by the Stewards who welcomed me and advised me which door to go through so I could easily find a place to sit.

I had a great time. Really enjoyed it.
Bought some stuff I didn't know I needed and spoke to some people.
Stewards were helpful and pleasant.
Can't ask much more really.

Back