another newbee tip!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Another tip for newbees.
We are at the point of the year when we can easily get caught out with not having enough equipment. You need to think ahead a little bit. I would always advise to have one spare brood box, roof and floor and one spare super at hand and nearly ready to go. The super is essential because when you come to take off the honey you will be cramming your bees down to be able to take the super off. Add that spare super to ensure they have enough room. I then extract the honey, give it back to the bees overnight to clean up and then take it off again as my spare. Each hive should have three supers, one nearly full, one started and your spare
What you DON’T want to do is have everything made up with foundation wax. If you don’t use it the wax will lose its freshness which the bees find important to encourage them to draw it out so …. Build you new super and then fill it with half made frames. These are frames that you have made up with a top bar, two side bars and ONE bottom rail. That rail should be opposite the bit you DON’T cut off the top bar. When the time comes all you have to do is cut off that bit of the top rail, slide the wax in and pin that bit back together with the remaining bottom rail. This takes seconds instead of minutes meaning you can have a super up and running very quickly. Trust me if the nectar starts flowing you want them to have something to put it in. Do the same with brood frames and you will always be nearly ready for any eventuality (Including being able to hive a swarm ). Keep the wax wrapped and sealed until you need it, away from heat and mice!
By the way, when you pin the bottom rails to your frame always pin from the bottom up and then they can easily be dismantled for new wax. If you pin from the side you have to break something to put new wax in!
Lastly, for Christmas ask for a staple gun that fires small nails as well. They will save you hours of time and the pain of gimp pin thumb!!
E
:cheers2:

Don't wait until Christmas - my stapler/nail gun is the best thing I've ever bought. I'm not good at hitting pins in straight with a tack hammer (I blame my varifocals!) and this takes all the stress/mess out of frame making.
An old hand suggested that you run the blowtorch lightly over wax when the frame has been made up for a while, this removes the oxidisation and it smells fresh to the bees.
Love your posts enrico, tks.

How about making up a super complete with foundation then putting in a large vacuum bag, like those for storing blankets etc. you then havea complete super shrunk wrapped waiting and ready

Ian

Great idea, Would it suck the foundation out of shape?

just used one of these for the first time, I reckon i may work if you dont vac it too much. it takes a bit of time to suck out all the air so if you stoped before it gets too tight??

just used one of these for the first time, I reckon i may work if you dont vac it too much. it takes a bit of time to suck out all the air so if you stoped before it gets too tight??

I like tight :drool5:

I have frames made up just as you describe, enrico and it does save time.
I also have a super worth of frames made up from last year in which I wrapped each frame in poly bags. It's still fresh and has none of that old wax white bloom.

Black and decker do one called a super shot which is a hand gun that works well but the staples are not too easy to find but B & Q sell a stanley one called a sharpshooter which needs plugging in. I find this best as it has adjustable power. Look on internet for TRA 700 series but make sure it also fires brads and not just staples
E

Make, model, cost, supplier?!?!?

Beware, some only take 15mm brads (not 16mm which are cheap from Draper, or similar) - a bear!

I had an (mains electric) Arrow ET 100 (now at 35 quid delivered) and also a Canadian Craftsman 'handraulic' nailer/stapler (15mm)!

My original was second hand from a builder (wrong voltage for site work?); that eventually failed. I then bought a Powercraft battery model and regretted ever touching it - too heavy, finnicky and it failed after just a few thousand brads.

So I have purchased another ET100 (nice, new and shiny) as the ET200 (a bit more powerful) was neither here nor there (price nor application) for me, as I have access to heavy duty nail guns (electric or pneumatic) if I need to drive longer nails.

Regards, RAB

one example if it lets me put the link on is
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9285260&fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB/categories%3C{9372015}/categories%3C{9372043}/categories%3C{9372176}/categories%3C{9392055}/specificationsProductType=nail___staple_guns&tmcampid=4&tmad=c&ecamp=cse_go&CAWELAID=266893142
Hope this helps
E

How about making up a super complete with foundation then putting in a large vacuum bag, like those for storing blankets etc. you then havea complete super shrunk wrapped waiting and ready

Ian

This is also a good idea for storing supers over winter,to stop the dreaded wax moth.
I will give it a go, wheres the best place to get these bags?

New bee tips

Being in the business I wrap al my frames in clingfilm seems to work fine.:sifone:

Latest posts

Back