Advice on caring for a stray honey bee found last night (20/1/21)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicola Pearce

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi Folks,

Thank you for approving me as a member.

I would like to ask you for some advice.

Last night as,I was washing up in the kitchen I spotted a honey bee (or what appears to be a honey bee to me, could be a leaf-cutting bee for all I know, we have them use a special bee house in our garden)

The poor soul flew up and was bashing her head against a light bulb, so I captured her in my spider catcher and popped her in a small plastic vivarium I have for my snake when I am cleaning his vivarium.

I put some manuka honey on some lining paper and cotton wool soaked with water, and placed it all in a dimly lit room to let her de-stress.

Today I put in a chrysanthemum flower and a bit of foliage (sprayed with water)

She flies and walks about in there a bit.

My question is, is it OK to let her out into the garden with the inclement weather we are having, or should I keep her in the vivarium for now ? If so, how should I properly care for her ?

Thank you for your advice.

Kind Regards

Nicola

Last edited:
Just let her out, it's where she wants to be.

But in future, please don't feed honey to bees, as it can contain spores of bacteria which the bees can then take back to their nest, infecting the whole nest. It isn't very likely, but it can happen. Just dissolve some granulated sugar in water instead and use that.

Thanks

OK Thanks.

I have put her on a large planter so she can shelter under a leaf until she is ready to fly off to wherever.

I daren't have let her out last night as Storm Christoph was in full force and then we had snow.

I will be leaving the forum now, so goodbye folks and happy bee keeping.

Regards

Nicola

Back